Re: [SLE] Daylight Saving time change?

On Sunday 29 October 2006 22:41, Simon Roberts wrote:
Hi all,

This seems really silly, but Daylight Saving time is ended, and I can't
work out how to get my computer to notice.

I thought it would have just known, as has happened in the past, but it's
still concienciously showing MDT time rather than MST. I tried to use Yast
to correct this, and the only thing on offer to me are other major
timezones, nothing for Daylight saving.

It might be part of the puzzle, though I don't quite see how, that I run an
ntp client (because my laptop's clock is dreadfully inaccurate--I suspect a
failing CMOS support battery or something).

Do you have your system clock set to local time? If you do, linux won't
attempt to correct for DST

Any suggestions?

In linux, always set the system clock to UTC, and leave the timezone handling
to the OS. Then the DST conversion will happen seamlessly

A short term solution could also be to run ntpdate against a trusted ntp
server, which should set your clock to the correct time again.

But, again, setting the clock to UTC is the best long term solution

  • Re: Clock always one hour ahead
    ... >>using Windows that Windows has not notified me with a popup of the clock ... >>being reset the morning after. ... 1/ by unchecking the automatically adjust for daylight saving" ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: DST why !!!
    ... Do you have the Automatically adjust clock for daylight saving changes Checked? ... DST kicked> in. ... > by manually changing all the schedules back again, ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: Windows 7 X64does not update clock
    ... The 'help' menu certainly advises to ensure the check box for automatically adjusting the clock is checked but again I can't find this box. ... I have entered 'Daylight Saving' in the help box but that simply directs me to the page that allows time to be adjusted, no sign of box 'Automatically adjust clock for Daylight Saving Time". ... The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus. ...
  • Re: Windows 7 X64does not update clock
    ... There is where the box to check for "Automatically adjust clock for daylight Saving Time" is located. ... I have entered 'Daylight Saving' in the help box but that simply directs me to the page that allows time to be adjusted, no sign of box 'Automatically adjust clock for Daylight Saving Time". ... The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus. ...
  • Re: SetLocalTime api
    ... probably in the time server registry settings or maybe the shell registry ... I do know what daylight saving is. ... than SetLocalTime, or maybe you should allow for the automatic Daylight ... I'm using SetLocalTime API in order to update an iPaq's clock ...