Re: [SLE] Re: [opensuse-factory] About ext3 as default and periodic fs checks

On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 17:08 +0100, Dave Cotton wrote:
On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 16:53 +0100, Rasmus Plewe wrote:
On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 05:41:29PM +0200, Silviu Marin-Caea wrote:
The periodic ext3 fs checks at boot are driving me nuts. I know they can be
disabled.

Couldn't they be performed at shutdown instead of boot?
[...]
These would be the steps, from boot:

0. boot
1. is fs dirty? then fsck and prompt user how to fix errors
[...]
This way, the user would never have to wait at boot, and the
filesystem would still be checked periodically.

No.

What do you think?

I would prefer the following:
If a fsck at boot time occurs
- kill the splash screen (usually the computer boots in 3 minutes, now
it's still unchanged after 10 minutes. Something must be broken.
Poweroff/on. Does still not boot. Damn Linux, doesn't work. Changing
OS because Linux doesn't work for me).
- present an option "you can interrupt the current fsck by pressing
ESC. This means the fsck is repeated upon next boot."
- As user, I know what will happen next time I boot and prepare for it.

If you trust hardware and file systems, you might want to present an
easy option to the user to disable those checks alltogether. I wouldn't
recommend that.

That's why trying to ape Windoze is often not such a good idea, yes the
splash screens are pretty but when fsck kicks in the scenario becomes
different, even Windoze says that there was a problem and shows it's
checking system in all it's character glory. I found someone locked in
the "nothing happening/power switch" circle. He'd installed the system
with a multisync screen and now the lower quality screen that was
connected was turning itself off because it couldn't handle the
resolution.

As the splash screen says, press ESC for more info. When an fsck is
happening during a boot, doing this tells what is going on. Of course,
it is in geekese. But it does also say that it is checking the file
system, and there is a progress bar and a spinning doodad.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems AB
Ramböll Sverige AB
Kapellgränd 7
P.O. Box 4205
SE-102 65 Stockholm, Sweden

Tel: Int +46 8-615 60 20
Fax: Int +46 8-31 42 23

  • Re: fsckd - FIXED
    ... filesystem errors on boot, with the "hit control-D to continue or give root ... to fix the errors with fsck. ... filesystem and inability to reboot. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • SUMMARY: Cant boot X1 - fsck problem?!?
    ... Then next step was to find alternate superblock and run fsck against that ... After this I was able to boot up my Solaris 2.8 and everything is working ... Entering System Maintenance Mode ... mount: the state of /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 is not okay ...
    (SunManagers)
  • fstab entries for external USB hard drives led to fsck.ext3 failure on boot, bug?
    ... 'F!3@$%ing fsck! ... Please repair the file system manually. ... CONTROL-D will terminate this shell and resume system boot. ... were to allow me to quickly mount an external hard drive ...
    (Debian-User)
  • [SLE] Re: [opensuse-factory] About ext3 as default and periodic fs checks
    ... Couldn't they be performed at shutdown instead of boot? ... If a fsck at boot time occurs ... That's why trying to ape Windoze is often not such a good idea, ... splash screens are pretty but when fsck kicks in the scenario becomes ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: fsckd