Re: [SLE] Re: [opensuse-factory] About ext3 as default and periodic fs checks

On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 17:08 +0100, Dave Cotton wrote:
On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 16:53 +0100, Rasmus Plewe wrote:
On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 05:41:29PM +0200, Silviu Marin-Caea wrote:
The periodic ext3 fs checks at boot are driving me nuts. I know they can be
disabled.

Couldn't they be performed at shutdown instead of boot?
[...]
These would be the steps, from boot:

0. boot
1. is fs dirty? then fsck and prompt user how to fix errors
[...]
This way, the user would never have to wait at boot, and the
filesystem would still be checked periodically.

No.

What do you think?

I would prefer the following:
If a fsck at boot time occurs
- kill the splash screen (usually the computer boots in 3 minutes, now
it's still unchanged after 10 minutes. Something must be broken.
Poweroff/on. Does still not boot. Damn Linux, doesn't work. Changing
OS because Linux doesn't work for me).
- present an option "you can interrupt the current fsck by pressing
ESC. This means the fsck is repeated upon next boot."
- As user, I know what will happen next time I boot and prepare for it.

If you trust hardware and file systems, you might want to present an
easy option to the user to disable those checks alltogether. I wouldn't
recommend that.

That's why trying to ape Windoze is often not such a good idea, yes the
splash screens are pretty but when fsck kicks in the scenario becomes
different, even Windoze says that there was a problem and shows it's
checking system in all it's character glory. I found someone locked in
the "nothing happening/power switch" circle. He'd installed the system
with a multisync screen and now the lower quality screen that was
connected was turning itself off because it couldn't handle the
resolution.

As the splash screen says, press ESC for more info. When an fsck is
happening during a boot, doing this tells what is going on. Of course,
it is in geekese. But it does also say that it is checking the file
system, and there is a progress bar and a spinning doodad.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems AB
Ramböll Sverige AB