Re: [SLE] updating 10.1
- From: John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 16:17:34 -0800
On Monday 30 October 2006 06:46, kevin.kempter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Yesterday pulled down the remastered 10.1 DVD ISO and installed 10.1 on a
laptop I have to see if Its ready for me to upgrade. The install went fine
however I am somewhat confused by the new zen updater instead of my SuSE
I have a few questions:
- Does the zen updater pull only patches & fixes like the SuSE Watcher did
? If not where do I now get these types of updates?
Well it depends on the particular repositories you configure.
I believe that the default config does just the security patches, but I can't
be absolutely sure of this.
I've added in the KDE repositories as well, and this way my KDE is kept
up with the bleeding edge (currently 3.5.5 Release 19.1).
- What's the best way to update my system, does the zen updater do it all ?
or is there a better/easier to manage method?
Well Zen is the SuSE way for the future. One would expect this to
eventually be as reliable as SuSE watcher, but more flexible and extensible.
There are other utilities, such as Fou4s, Smart (which isn't aptly named IMHO)
Apt, and a few I forget.
- Both zen updater and Yast Sources only list my DVD drive. Where can I
find a list of 10.2 repositories for both the zen updater and yast ? Do
they both accept the same repos?
look to http:www.opensuse.org
With a couple good repositories, you can get things quicker from the net than
you can from the DVD.
I guess the short question is - how do I keep my system up to date and
where can I find step by step (im kinda slow) documentation on how to
configure my new 10.1 box for updates?
Don't configure too many repositories. Things get terribly slow if you
do. I found that having one repository for Suse itself, and one for KDE
is all that I need.
Check the headers for your unsubscription address
For additional commands send e-mail to suse-linux-e-help@xxxxxxxx
Also check the archives at http://lists.suse.com
Please read the FAQs: suse-linux-e-faq@xxxxxxxx
- [SLE] updating 10.1
- From: kevin . kempter
- [SLE] updating 10.1
- Prev by Date: Re: [SLE] Daylight Saving time change?
- Next by Date: Re: [SLE] Daylight Saving time change?
- Previous by thread: [SLE] updating 10.1
- Next by thread: [SLE] Re: [opensuse-factory] About ext3 as default and periodic fs checks