Re: [SLE] swap

Robert,

On Tuesday 31 October 2006 08:10, Robert Lewis wrote:
One command I miss from my old Unix days is the ability to
add swap dynamically. That is swap to a file. Some of the
Unix's have a swap command and you can name a file and the
size you wish and swap will start using it.

This can be pretty handy for someone who doubles their
RAM after and OS has been installed and wants swap
to follow the yellow brick road even if the machine never
swaps.

I did a man on swap but nothing came back!

Ohhh. So close.

% man swapaon
SWAPON(8) Linux Programmer's Manual SWAPON(8)

NAME
swapon, swapoff - enable/disable devices and files for paging
and swapping

SYNOPSIS
/sbin/swapon [-h -V]
/sbin/swapon -a [-v] [-e]
/sbin/swapon [-v] [-p priority] specialfile ...
/sbin/swapon [-s]
/sbin/swapoff [-h -V]
/sbin/swapoff -a
/sbin/swapoff specialfile ...

DESCRIPTION
Swapon is used to specify devices on which paging and swapping
are to take place.

You might also want to learn about the "apropos" / "man -k" command.

Randall Schulz

  • Re: 2.6.10-rc3: kswapd eats CPU on start of memory-eating task
    ... Here I let the animation loop until the testing is over. ... and then starts using the swap partition on /dev/hda. ... usage) and then falls to about 15 percent when all swapping is done. ... In the last minute of swapping, also during a screen freeze. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: generic swap method in javascript
    ... the stack and using them from there. ... I've seen languages with a swap primitive:) ... Swapping without "third" can be done with simple arithmetic operations: ... It's generally a bad idea to be "too smart" in a high-level language. ...
    (comp.lang.javascript)
  • Swapping on ZFS - stability issue
    ... When I got to the machine there was no sensible message on the console, ... The machine had swap configured on a ZVOL which made me suspicious, ... swapping either to a ZVOL or a file on ZFS exhibited ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: High memory pressure makes system nearly unresponsive.
    ... Disk io has priority. ... Slackware, the swap usage grows to about 600MB, and UI interactivity ... I don't think it could have much to do with swapping, ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: OOM killer gripe (was Re: What still uses the block layer?)
    ... There are three basic swapping scenarios. ... Pushing unused data out of ram ... To effectively swap you need SWAP> RAM because after a little while of ... is about the I/O time of 512 bytes of contiguous disk data. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)