Re: [opensuse] easy kde/gnome/mono questions

Greg Freemyer wrote:
All,

I've been using SuSE with KDE for years but I don't really do any
sophisticated GUI interaction. I pretty much just fire up a few
terminal sessions and do my work from the command line.

I now want to start experimenting with writing a Mono application.

I get the impression that means I should switch to Gnome. Correct?

Nope. mono apps work fine in kde.

If so, how do I do that? (I don't care about current settings /
config / etc.) I can create a new login account if that would be
easier.

If you want to try gnome, just log out of your kde session and log into
a gnome session by choosing "gnome" as session type in the login manager.

And then are there any special packages I should be sure to install?

For what you need, make sure the gnome, gnome-devel and mono selections
are installed.

Joe

  • Re: Unable to switch session from GDM
    ... I have a problem with GDM. ... GNOME no matter what other session I choose. ... you have to have kde and kdm installed. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Unable to switch session from GDM
    ... I have a problem with GDM. ... GNOME no matter what other session I choose. ... you have to have kde and kdm installed. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Newbie with questions.
    ... How do I find the KDE package on my installisation DVD? ... >> I have installed SUSE 10.0 with GNOME on a VMWARE machine on Windows XP. ... My epson printer connected to LPT1 is not found in my VMware machine. ... > and select KDE from the list of available session types, ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Setting the startup directory when creating a link
    ... >> KDE, but Gnome falls over on them. ... The links created in Gnome work on both ... In KDE, I can open a window to the location of the target, and another to ... You have chosen to open another desktop session. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: [opensuse] easy kde/gnome/mono questions
    ... I get the impression that means I should switch to Gnome. ... mono is kde, gnome, or any other desktop independent, as an extra it comes with many bindings for the gnome desktop but you don't have to install them if you don't want to use them. ... So, don't worry about switching desktops, mono works great in KDE. ... Depending on the type of programs you are planning to develop, select the components of mono you want to install and Yast will install any dependency it is needed. ...
    (SuSE)