Re: [opensuse] Novell Trumpets Support for Open Source Development

On Saturday 06 January 2007 01:40, Fred A. Miller wrote:
Novell Trumpets Support for Open Source Development

Novell moved Wednesday to underscore its support for free software
development after volunteer technical support collapsed for rival Red
Hat's free Linux version. Novell spokesperson Kevan Barney said the
downfall of Red Hat's Fedora Legacy Project only strengthens Novell's
commitment to its own partnership with open source, or free, software
developers worldwide.

See the Full Story:
http://www.technewsworld.com/story/54997.html

"Statistics back up Novell's contention. In the past month, Open Suse
supplanted Ubuntu as the No. 1 choice, according to the download
access-tracking DistroWatch.com Web site. Fedora? It fell to No. 3."

Although the above statement is most likely true.... I don't think
Distrowatch's figure are a true measure of much of anything.

SuSE just release 10.2 a few weeks ago for download. Thus, there are a lot
of downloads of it. Ubuntu is due for a release sometime soon but hasn't
released its next version yet. Expect it to become No. 1 when it is
released and some of the 10.2 downloads have lessened.

Not a very scientific way of measuring popularity. Just my $.02

  • Re: cnc router
    ... Followup on my offer of free software -- ... firewall at work that won't let you download zip files, ... >these years ago that took ADI [autocad device interface] output ... >dropped the ADI output so I wrote a program to convert HPGL [not ...
    (alt.machines.cnc)
  • Re: problems with extra photos and email
    ... File Sharing, Photo Hosting, FTP etc. which is probably much better than ... (Download the free software from microsoft.com) ... couple friends and I often exchanged data using FTP or privated IRC. ... You and your friend should download the software and try it. ...
    (alt.photography)
  • Re: [SLE] OT: love thy local FOSS developer
    ... I have paid for free software. ... I pay for ... Good developers don't do it for the money, ... Or you could download the binary-only for i386 directly. ...
    (SuSE)
  • zolt Security Monitor
    ... completely free software, and it's available for download at my website ... which means that zolt Security Monitor EFFECTIVELY PROTECTS THE ... Please feel free to download it and I would sincerely appreciate your ...
    (comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.security)
  • Re: Red Crap Linux
    ... > software builds within the blink of an eye. ... single copy of free software. ... And I don't even have to download top! ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)