Re: [opensuse] tar

John Meyer wrote:
Kenneth Schneider wrote:

What have you tried already so we don't suggest versions of the tar
command that have not worked for you?

cd $HOME && tar uzf $HOME/backups/Pictures.tar.gz Pictures

Result:

tar: Cannot update compressed archives

Try it without using compressed files. Some tar functions don't work
with compression. You can always compress and uncompress separately from
adding files.

  • Re: logrotate/logwatch error on fc15
    ... compressed files a gz instead of bz2 extension. ... determine which command to use to read the compressed files, ... therefore is using the wrong command. ... compression is enabled. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: How to create zip file from command line in winxp without using any 3rd party utility
    ... See -Z switch for MS-ZIP compression ... -D Update compressed files only if out of date. ... How to create zip file from command line in winxp without using any ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Please, PLEASE, hold your questions/comments/elsewhat til the end. Thank you. :)
    ... Via altering the probabilities in a binary string we put ourselves one ... ~Now there is ways to work in a command section that alters this ... I made a means for a 4 bit string to equal two seperate parts. ... Statistically we have compression, regardless of 'major' fluctuations. ...
    (comp.compression)
  • Re: Files deleted but free space doesnt increase
    ... Open a command prompt, change to the directory you want to delete and enter the following commands. ... In it will be the current compression information for every file in the directory. ... I know you said you don't have norton, but there are other recycle bin replacements available and someone may have installed one of them. ... If the size on disk is smaller than ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.file_system)
  • Re: Swapping HDD....
    ... after plug a external hard disk "dmesg" make clear in it's last ... and configure ssh for compression this is dmaned effective ...
    (Fedora)