Re: [opensuse] how to update alsa to 1.0.14rc2 on Suse 10.1 with checkinstall?

On 2/3/07, Robert Lewis <rll@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Gustav Degreef wrote:
> I hope someone can shed some light on this problem. I've been working
> on this for months and have tried the alsa users list.
>
> I would like to update alsa to try to get a micorophone to work with
> my laptop. I am using Suse 10 .1 with kernel 2.6.16.27-0.6-smp. The
> sound card on my laptop (a HP DV2035us) works but not the microphone.
>
> some specs on my soundcard:
> #lspci
> 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High
> Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
> #cat /proc/asound/dev0/codec#0
> Codec: Generic 14f1 ID 5047
>
> I have
>
> alsa-firmware-1.0.13-0.pm.0
> alsa-devel-1.0.13-0.pm.0
> alsa-docs-1.0.13-0.pm.0
> alsa-plugins-1.0.10-15
> alsa-tools-gui-1.0.11-16
> alsa-tools-1.0.13-0.pm.1
> alsa-1.0.13-0.pm.0
> alsamixergui-0.9.0rc1-558
>
> The following tar.bz2 packages are availbble from
>
> ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/driver
>
> * Driver 1.0.14rc2
> * Library 1.0.14rc2
> * Lib-plugins 1.0.14rc2
> * Utilities 1.0.14rc2
> * Tools 1.0.14rc1
> * Firmware 1.0.14rc2
> * OSS Compat. Library 1.0.12
>
> But I want to maintain the integrity of the rpm database by creating
> rpms of those packages using checkinstall.
>
> I did the following:
>
> $> bunzip2 alsa-driver-1.0.14rc1.tar.bz2
> $> tar -xvf alsa-driver-1.0.14rc2.tar
> $> ./configure --with-debug=full --with-cards=hda-intel
> $> make
> $> su -, then root passwd :
> $#>checkinstall
>
> I built rpm's of all the new (1.0.14rc2) packages I listed in the same
> way. Then installed the seven new rpm's
>
> rpm -Uvh alsa*.rpm
>
> found all the audio modules
> $#> lsmod |grep -i snd
>
> Removed all modules
> $#>rmmod snd_hda_intel
> $#>rmmod snd_hda_codec
> $#>rmmod snd_pcm
> $#>rmmod snd_timer
> $#>rmmod snd
> $#>rmmod soundcore
> $#>rmmod snd_page_alloc
>
> $#>modprobe snd-hda-intel
>
> $#>alsamixer
>
> The new driver worked better and with alsamixer I got many more
> channels than with the original 1.0.13-0. The problem came when I
> rebooted - the card failed to work. I ran alsaconf and that seemed
> to work, but the Yast sound configuration tool fails to configure the
> card properly.
>
> Should I keep both the alsa-1.0.13-0.pm.0 rpm when installing the
> alsa-driver-1.0.14rc2.rpm that I created? I tried removing the
> alsa-1.0.13-0.pm.0 rpm, but then alsamixer does not exist. Which - if
> any - of the old (1.0.13-0) packages should I keep and which of the
> new tar.bz2 (1.0.14rc2) should I install?
> Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, Gus Degreef.
I also have an HP laptop (not the same model) and the Microphone no
longer works. I have compiled and installed the latest ALSA offerings
and it did help the speakers but the Microphone is still dead. I am
hopeful that the ALSA folks are working on this and that it will be
fixed by 10.3 time frame. However, to get functionality again with
Skype etc. I purchased a USB headset and that works.

Robert,

Thanks for the virtually instant reply. Which USB headset did you
get? Does it matter? Gus