Re: [opensuse] LILO/Grub Problem

Bob S wrote:
On Saturday 03 February 2007 02:27, Joe Morris (NTM) wrote:

Add this to this file.

### Added 10.0 Boot ###
title openSUSE 10.0
root (hd1,2)
kernel (hd1,0)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb3 vga=0x31a resume=/dev/hdb2 splash=silent showopts
initrd (hd1,0)/initrd

Sorry, watch the wrapping. Perhaps some explanation of the above will
help. [Note, i changed a few items above from original try]. root is
for grub to find the root of the OS (I originally thought it needed to
be the boot partition). I forgot since I have not had a separate boot
for some years. Kernel like is to load the kernel image. Here I added
the grub notation to find vmlinuz on the boot partition in the root of
that partition. My root line above appears to be wrong from a few pages
I have seen searching online, but I have no way of determining what it
would be for your system. Check out
http://www.rocklinux.org/wiki/Root_on_LVM and
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/redhat-fedora-linux-help/61630-grub-lvm-multi-boot-problem.html
it appears from these it may be something like
(hd1,2)/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 or something like it. BTW, according to
the release notes, Yasts partition tool can handle LVMs and might at
least allow you to get to your data while we get this working. It might
also help figure out what the root= line should be.
OK, did as instructed. Sadly it did not work. Does it matter where it is
placed in the file?

Yes, I assumed you would add it after the last entry, but it would only
change the number for which is the default choice if you do not choose.

fdisk -l /dev/hdb gives me 3 partitions. A 1G boot partition, a 1G swap
partition, and a 28G LVM (which I have my home and all other partions on
as LVM's)

Is that one hdb3? or did you have any extended partitions?

Yes that LVM is hdb3

Sorry, like I said, not that familiar with lvm. Is it called /dev/hdb3
like normal, or what is it called? For example, I run a raid 1, so mine
is /dev/md0.
Yes. Are you thinking that the boot parameters are inside the LVM?
No, your root partition is in there.
That's why
you called root=/dev/hdb3 in the script?
No, that is because that is where your root partition is (i.e. /).
When that didn't work I went ahead
and changed it to root=/dev/hdb1. That didn't work either.

That is your boot partition. You need a separate boot (I checked the
release notes) if you use a lvm. Inside your boot partition (hdb1) is
your kernel and most importantly your initrd, which I would assume is
fine since you haven't messed with hdb. Your initrd will have the
necessary modules to recognize your lvm volume.

--
Joe Morris

  • SUMMARY: Moving /usr From Under Root "/" To Its Own Partition
    ... One of the reasons for doing this is to end up with a smaller root ... Install the boot block and boot off the new drive. ... " In order for the root partition to be fscked and remounted ... D> temporarily on the existing disk. ...
    (SunManagers)
  • Re: How do I solve this boot.ini problem with WinXP?
    ... This is the current state of my boot.ini file in Win2K's Root: ... In a Microsoft dual boot ... or Multiple Hard Disk only one can be set as a "Active Partition". ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
  • RE: lvm on RH8 _ SOLVED_
    ... Apparently, the lvm module wasn't getting initialised at boot, so I ... Using fdisk, change the partition usage to 0x8e (free space, logical ... Next the filesystem needs to be created in the logical volumes. ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: Avoiding LVM -
    ... two partitions (root and swap) or sometimes root only. ... About avoiding LVM... ... established partition layout and don't change it for lifetime of your OS ... But for dual boot installs and rapid disk layout ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: My troubles might been related to changing packages on repos
    ... supposed to be able to install it on / but I'll be damned if I ... reboot the system and boot ... Location' with a choice of MBR, Root Partition, Boot partition (if you ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)