Re: [opensuse] More 10.2 nightmares

On 2/11/07, J Sloan <joe@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

John Pierce wrote:
> On 2/11/07, J Sloan <joe@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Why not just change change line 18 of /etc/sysconfig/videobios to read:
>>
>> VIDEOBIOS_PARAMETERS="5c 1440 900"
>>
>> Joe
>> --
>>

> Well, Joe that sounds like a winner. After all of the googling I only
> found the 915 thing that I posted about.
>
> I found that result and gave it a try and it worked for me, I had know
> Idea about the VIDEOBIOS_PARAMETERS= setting. I have been using linux
> since about 1998 with an early red disto that I downloaded and
> installed from rpms. I have learned quite a lot about linux since
> then and am willing to try anything. To me the best move I have ever
> made was ditching windows. I have converted my wife and sons and they
> hate to even use windows at work and school.

Wow that's cool - I've been running linux for some years too, and find that I
have to keep learning, as it is constantly being refined and updated.

I tried to raise my kids right, and today all the guys in this house run
linux, and all the girls use macs, so it's an all-unix house, and virus free!

Joe
Well, in my small community in central kentucky I have converted at
least 20 windows users to linux users in the last 2 years. I am
trying to get a lug started here and I think we are getting close to
being a reality now.

I have had a couple of meetings now with the superintendent of our
school system and I think we might get to experiment with a small
class at the middle school, maybe get them to use openoffice and a few
linux terminals. We have been looking at the k12ltsp software.

I don't think ms needs to be out of business, but if they lose enough
business maybe they will mend their ways and start making quality
software. I know you will probably say I am dreaming and I probably
am.

--
John

Registered Linux User 263680, get counted at
http://counter.li.org

  • One Real-World App , poss. 2 was Re: Will Linux eventually take over the desktop market?
    ... > Linux*, but it's still on the back burner in many companies and computer ... I'm essentially the engineering department - there's Joe, ... QC, Marshal, kind of a general purpose shop guy, Jimmy, the machinist, ... it or KDE look enough like W2k that they won't care - ...
    (comp.os.linux)
  • Re: Can extra processing threads help in this case?
    ... You and Joe did give me some excellent help, ... along with two linux groups and one unix group. ... of reasoning known as fallacies. ... Sounds like a 300MB working set ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.mfc)
  • Re: Why Im staying with WinDoZe
    ... Joe Cipale wrote in ... I know that Linux had issues with winmodems before, ... unlocking the 10 gig so I could reformat it for DOS etc. ... couple of 120+ gig drives in a RAID array and at least a gig of fast ram. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Portably finding real memory from C?
    ... Joe> total memory in the demsg output. ... Richard> (At least on Linux) dmesg only gives you the most recent few kilobytes ... On Linux, klogd handles the kernel log output, from the earliest boot messages. ...
    (comp.unix.programmer)
  • Re: [SLE] ZIP Drive on Parallel port in SuSE 10.0 Boxed Ed.
    ... Joe was editing the file as you asked him to. ... I came to Linux from MS Windows around 2.5 years ago. ... shipped with SuSE. ...
    (SuSE)