Re: [opensuse] Suse 10.2d 64-bit +Kde (solved)

Anders Johansson wrote:
On Monday 09 April 2007 01:39, Art Fore wrote:

Only remaining problem is that I cannot boot with RAID 1 installation.
Still comes up with no opereating system found even though I can boot on
a clean non-RAID install on either disk.

Yes, /boot needs to be outside the RAID. I had issues with that as well. It
seems lilo and grub can't handle RAID 1 anymore

I am running raid 1 with boot inside my raid with no problems (at least
not when Grub is installed in the MBR). /dev/md0 is my root. My
menu.lst has, for example,
root (hd0,4)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/md0 vga=0x31a resume=/dev/hda1
splash=verbose showopts
initrd /boot/initrd

I have tried out several kernels (right now running 2.6.20.2-34-default)
and they have installed and updated my menu.lst and I have had no boot
issues (unlike 10.1, where I just ran grub from the command line as it
seemed to always mess it up). Grub appears to have no problem with
raid1 boot as long as it can access it. I have read where newer
versions will support software raid natively, i.e. no more root (hd0,4),
but actually read the root from raid.

--
Joe Morris

  • RE: Boot/login problems after installation
    ... >From Gnome desktop, I was able to logout user, login root, over and over. ... After another minimal install, I was able to add my user and su to it and su ... I was unable to boot using the boot floppy. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: 5.x separate /boot slice?
    ... This brings up some issues related to the boot loader touched on here ... updated root partition for upgrade or development flexibility. ... >(backup) if something goes wrong. ... heavily upgraded during one's install method. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: My troubles might been related to changing packages on repos
    ... supposed to be able to install it on / but I'll be damned if I ... reboot the system and boot ... Location' with a choice of MBR, Root Partition, Boot partition (if you ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Boot track limits for OSR 5.0.7 + special bonus ranting & raving
    ... root filesystem so as to allow root to extend past the 1024 cyl boundary ... " If the boot division extends ... Pentium 4 hyperthreaded CPUs, added one to masterboot. ... You can work around this by using the old "install, ...
    (comp.unix.sco.misc)
  • Re: [opensuse] Help with Raid on 10.3
    ... I'm trying to do a new install of opensuse 10.3 on a new server box. ... like to have raid1 set up with 2 drives. ... differences between md raid and dm raid, ... The problem is the system won't boot on the first ...
    (SuSE)