Re: [opensuse] KDE 4 in parallel to KDE 3 on openSUSE 10.2, possible?

Op Saturday 02 June 2007 12:27:13 schreef Mohammad Bhuyan:
Writing to the list as the instruction provided in opensuse wiki (
http://en.opensuse.org/KDE4 ) was not clear enough for me.

1. Can I install KDE 4 parallel to my KDE 3.5.7 (latest release) on 10.2?

As stated on the wiki page:
"The KDE4 packages install into the /usr prefix hence KDE3 and KDE4 can be
installed at the same time."

So yes, kde3 and kde4 are installed in parallel.

2. If yes, should I expect a option to choose KDE 3 / KDE 4 at my login?

I guess so. The same way as you can choose between gnome, kde, etc.
But kde4 information is installed in ~/.kde4

3. I am assuming that I will have to get the KDE packages for specific
to 4. which is OK with me. But how likely it is to break my existing
my total system?

(I can't afford to break my current working desktop so please advise
if the whole idea is not very wise. I am interested as I am interested
to contribute to development.)

See above it is seperated from kde3. But you can always start with the kde4
live CD.

--
Richard Bos
We are borrowing the world of our children,

  • Re: [opensuse] What features is KDE4 missing when compared to KDE3?
    ... good or bad KDE4 is and how much is missing from KDE4 when compared to ... KDE3. ... This is both the wrong mailing list (right would be either opensuse-kde or ... in time several weeks ago and led to the creation of a wiki page. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] What features is KDE4 missing when compared to KDE3?
    ... good or bad KDE4 is and how much is missing from KDE4 when compared to ... KDE3. ... I suggested that we create a wiki page so that we can have a ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [kde] Plasma documentation for KDE 4.3
    ... This isn't intended to be negative as there's some great stuff in kde4, ... and some things just can't be done quite like they were in kde3. ... Plasma Dashboard" ... ... but I have no idea what a "Plasma Dashboard" is, ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: [kde-linux] Unpopulated Control-Center window
    ... kbuildsycoca is designed to bring in changes made thru non-kde means, ... dcop for kde3, now a common dbus, used by both kde4 and gnome, is the ... and whether the sysadmin has perhaps changed some settings, ... depending on whether a kde3 or kde4 app was run ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: [kde] Yet another failed KDE release?
    ... microcosm of the larger kde3 -> kde4 debacle. ... mysql functionality (something about a mysql library for use in other ... to switch would have meant supporting kde3 thru kde 4.7 or so. ...
    (KDE)