Re: [opensuse] KDE 4 in parallel to KDE 3 on openSUSE 10.2, possible?

Op Saturday 02 June 2007 12:27:13 schreef Mohammad Bhuyan:
Writing to the list as the instruction provided in opensuse wiki (
http://en.opensuse.org/KDE4 ) was not clear enough for me.

1. Can I install KDE 4 parallel to my KDE 3.5.7 (latest release) on 10.2?

As stated on the wiki page:
"The KDE4 packages install into the /usr prefix hence KDE3 and KDE4 can be
installed at the same time."

So yes, kde3 and kde4 are installed in parallel.

2. If yes, should I expect a option to choose KDE 3 / KDE 4 at my login?

I guess so. The same way as you can choose between gnome, kde, etc.
But kde4 information is installed in ~/.kde4

3. I am assuming that I will have to get the KDE packages for specific
to 4. which is OK with me. But how likely it is to break my existing
my total system?

(I can't afford to break my current working desktop so please advise
if the whole idea is not very wise. I am interested as I am interested
to contribute to development.)

See above it is seperated from kde3. But you can always start with the kde4
live CD.

--
Richard Bos
We are borrowing the world of our children,