Re: [opensuse] Reiserfs unstable under load using large LV

Rikard Johnels wrote:
Never had any problems with XFS.
As people have stated; it cashes alot, so if you are unlucky and get at power
out at the wrong moment, the filesystem MAY corrupt.
But so far i have been lucky i guess. Even with power outs i havent had any
trashed drives (yet)

XFS is fast, reliable and scales well, or so i have read.
And besides; SGI wouldnt use it if it werent stable...

One thing Reiser supports is resizing with the LVM. Does XFS do that too?

  • RE: Filesystem recommendations
    ... They only journal filesystem metadata, ... to a file haven't been flushed to disk before the power goes out, ... However, I don't follow my own advice, probably because I've been using XFS ... The window of failure is when the process doing the writing closes the file, ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Linux filesystems was [Re: Debian cd supporting ext4.]
    ... I'm guessing most of them didn't look before taking the XFS leap. ... What were your results when you did this same power yank test with ext2/3, ... I've been using btrfs for my "/" file system for a few months now on my ... Toward the beginning I did suffer some dpkg database corruption due ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Filesystem corrupts after power failure
    ... An unexpected shutdown due to a sudden loss of power ... Therefore, if the filesystem is corrupted, GRUB is clueless. ... I've know very few Windows boxes corrupt this much after a power failure. ... XFS caches aggressively and only commits the data to the physical disk at ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Open source storage
    ... you lose power while XFS is building its extant, ... power loss: the defined semantics of any normal Unix-style file system ... flushed to disk may or may not be on the disk, in whole or in part, ... I see your point, but it strikes me as one of the 'a little bit pregnant' variety: absent explicit write-through or cache-flush control, *any* Unix file system will tend to produce data inconsistencies after interruption, the only question being just how many. ...
    (comp.arch.storage)