Re: [opensuse] Only root can use scanner on SuSE 10.2

The Friday 2007-06-08 at 17:52 -0400, Bob Kline wrote:

Before going that road, try adding yourself to the root group and see if it
works, because it might not.

Indeed it does not.

I thought so.

Have a look here, for instance:

http://en.opensuse.org/SDB%3AConfiguring_Scanners_from_SUSE_LINUX_9.2#libusb_.2B_resmgr_.2B_PAM

These lead me to advice on configuring /etc/resmgr.conf. I've been trying
this approach, but without any success. I've added:

add usb:any desktop
allow desktop tty=/dev/tty[1-9]* || tty=tty[1-9]* || tty=:0

Yep, but you misslooked something. There are some scanners for which
nothing will work, but being root. Nothing in the permissions you change
for them work, because the driver simply needs direct access to the
hardware, and is reserved to root. Or something like that.

I don't know if that is your case, but that's why I asked what type of
scanner you have and how is it connected. I think it is usb, isn't it?

What I intended you to look at is this paragraph in one of the links:

] Alternatively you can use "saned" which is a service for scanning via
] network. On the server the saned is set up and launched via xinetd. On
] the client the "net" backend is used for scanning via network. See "man
] saned" and "man sane-net". By using the loopback network this can be
] used on the local host too. In this case server and client are the same
] machine "localhost". Some scanners (e.g. parallel port scanners) require
] root privileges. To access such a scanner as normal user on the local
] host you may set up the following:
]
] 1. Let the saned run as root (default in /etc/xinetd.d/sane-port)
] 2. Allow access from "localhost" in /etc/sane.d/saned.conf
] 3. Specify the server "localhost" in /etc/sane.d/net.conf
] 4. Activate the "net" backend in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf

It is a roundabout way, certainly...

- --
Cheers,
Carlos E. R.

  • RFX NETWORKS ALERT
    ... below was posted to some security websites. ... | in security and scalable server management on varying levels. ... Got Root? ... Your Server login ID is: ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Solaris Sparc 9 12/3 Core ./installer failing due Java?
    ... system SUNWadmr System & Network Administration Root ... system SUNWapchd Apache Web Server Documentation ... system SUNWapchu Apache Web Server (usr) ... system SUNWaudd Audio Drivers ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • core install of Solaris 9 (sparc) package list can be trimmed ?
    ... This is a server that will have very specific reasons ... system SUNWadmr System & Network Administration Root ... system SUNWeu8os American English/UTF-8 L10N For OS Environment User Files ... system R SUNWfcip Sun FCIP IP/ARP over FibreChannel Device Driver ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • [Full-Disclosure] RFX Networks
    ... | in security and scalable server management on varying levels. ... | monitor to take action during situations of service failure. ... Got Root? ... Your Server login ID is: ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • RFX Networks/ RackAdmin.com ALERT
    ... below was posted to some security websites. ... | in security and scalable server management on varying levels. ... Got Root? ... Your Server login ID is: ...
    (comp.os.linux)