Re: [opensuse] Linux/CUPS/Samba Printer Configuration - again

Darryl Gregorash wrote:
On 2007-06-18 08:35, Daniel Feiglin wrote:

Hello!

This issue has been done to death on the Web, but I'm not sure where the
following derivative problem belongs:

I have an openSUSE 10.2 "vanilla" installation with Samba set up as a
server for my Windows work group, with all Win 2K clients. The Linux
system is fully patched. I have a parallel port HP printer attached to
the Linux box - which works fine, locally. CUPS operates as expected,
without problems.

When I try to print something from a Win 2K client, say a browser page -
there is a flurry of activity on the net (from the blinking lights on
the hub) - and then, nothing.

As of Win2K, I believe you do not need to use Samba to print to a Linux
network printer. Configure the printer in CUPS to allow network
connections (this should actually be the default behaviour), and
configure the printers in Windows to use a Unix-style (IPP) connection.
If you are running a firewall on the server, you may need to open the
IPP port (name ipp or number 631).

Right on!

That solved the problem - actually bypassing it.

There are a few details Darryl did not include, which I offer, for
anyone else with the same problem:
1. You need to ensure that the printer is set up for sharing. SUSE/CUPS
does this by default in an openSUSE installation.
2. In Win 2K (and presumably later) you set up the printer as a network
printer with its own URL.
3. You get the URL this way:
If you have your Linux box set up as a Web server (say with Apache):
a. From Win, enter the following URL in a browser:
<my_linux_box_ip>:631/printers. This displays the CUPS Web
administration dialog for selecting a printer. Click the one you want.
b. Copy the resulting URL from the browser to the URL box in 2. above.
If you are not set up as a Web server, then
a. Run the CUPS administrator on the Linux box, and go to Printers.
Click the printer you want to use as the network printer.
b. Manually copy the URL that you see, replacing the IP address
127.0.0.1 with the network IP address of your server into the URL box of
step 2. above.
4. Complete the Win printer wizard (you may need to install a driver
along the way).
5. Open the IPP port in the firewall as Darryl says.

Bingo! You're in business.

Daniel

begin:vcard
fn:Daniel Feiglin
n:Feiglin;Daniel
adr:;;POB 36;Shavei Shomron;Doar Na;44858;ISRAEL
email;internet:dilogsys@xxxxxxxxxxxx
tel;work:972 9 8616204
tel;fax:972 9 8621052
tel;pager:Skype user ID: baba_danny
tel;home:972 9 8320939
tel;cell:927 52 3869986
version:2.1
end:vcard

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Question
    ... >I am a network manager for a small government. ... >proprietary to something like FreeBSD or linux? ... Are server needs are currently simple and we only have one NT4 server ...
    (freebsd-newbies)
  • Re: Simple Fax Solution for Small Office?
    ... She wants to get away from the NT server. ... I _highly_ recommend HylaFAX running on Linux. ... Can be "integated" into a network running Samba for Windows ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Squid
    ... If you want to set up something more complicated, like a transparent proxy, then you will have a bigger challenge with windows - I have no experience with that. ... and run an all ms network. ... The filtering software of choice, Net Nanny does not run under linux, so ... and the license I have for 2000 server is a dev license. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Changing Host name help please
    ... Windows. ... You would put the hostname you want to use for your Linux ... the network setup. ... For your Linux server, you ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Economical Anti-Virus Network Solution
    ... We have a mixture of Windows and Linux ... >>yet economical solution for such a network. ... >>File/Backup server. ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)