Re: [opensuse] Raid 5 installation

On 6/20/07, Richard Creighton <ricreig@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
At the risk of appearing stupid, which I am willing to do, I recently
purchased a ASUS M2NPV-VM motherboard with intergral RAID5 hardware
controller. I also purchased 4 WD 400G SATA drives to make a 1.09T
(usable space) raid5 array under Linux, SUSE 10.2.

The MB setup shows the drives properly configured and online ready for
booting (which of course I can't until I populate it with an OS) As
this MB only has 4 SATA ports, I also had to use 1 IDE port for the
DVD-RW device, which does boot the 10.2 SUSE installation DVD just
fine. No errors are reported with media check, nor are any errors
reported when I run the memory check overnight.

When I attempt to install the OS, the partitioner detects all 4 SATA
drives INDIVIDUALLY as SD1-4 and offers to partition them as individual
drives. It also gives the option to make a SOFTWARE raid5 array or LVM
(which would defeat the hardware raid controller builtin to the MB).
Neither option is what I want. The board comes with WINDOWS drivers,
but there is no way in HE!! that I will put THAT on this system. I
would rather the hardware rot first. I have 3 other machines running
10.2 on my local LAN but none running RAID so I wanted a place to backup
stuff and a place to do some movie editing.

The question is, HOW do I get the installation to recognize the HARDWARE
raid that the MB is presenting via the BIOS and visible during the BIOS
configuration but so far NOT visible to the SUSE installation? Is
there a module or driver that can be loaded that would enable the
hardware raid to be visible so that I don't have to create a software
raid?

Failing that, if I install a 5th drive, an IDE device for the purpose of
booting the system, is there a driver/module that I could load after
booting that would allow me to use the hardware raid5 drives rather than
depend on the software raid?

Thanks in advance
Richard

I don't know about your MB, but most onboard raid is fake-raid.

http://linux-ata.org/faq-sata-raid.html

If yours is fake-raid and you don't need Windows dual boot capability,
then using software raid is your preferred choice. ie. Fake raid does
NOT offload any CPU load, it just allows Windows users to have a Raid
setup tool prior to installing windows.

If you need dual boot to the raid, the you can look at the dmraid
module and see if your controller is supported.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer
The Norcross Group

  • Re: asm on san
    ... For example, I've got 5 disks in RAID5, so if ASM ... If your boss told you to evaluate RAID 5, it is very likely that he ... then it really doesn't matter the spindle read/write rate. ... own internal hardware purchasers and users. ...
    (comp.databases.oracle.server)
  • Re: linux raid vs hw raid
    ... old fileserver hardware I have on hand. ... But, as you probably know, these drives are reasonably ... desktop-class drives as JBODs and using mdadm to RAID them. ... want to move to bigger disks. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Disk management
    ... you don't need to do a thing with the raid configuration. ... Hardware mirroring is done at the drive controller's hardware level. ... If your drive controller is not natively supported you'll want to boot the ... | controller) then wipe both drives then load the win2003 and add the mirror | back in? ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment)
  • [opensuse] Raid 5 installation
    ... I also purchased 4 WD 400G SATA drives to make a 1.09T ... raid5 array under Linux, SUSE 10.2. ... (which would defeat the hardware raid controller builtin to the MB). ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Clone those discs, people
    ... hardware failure and that's becoming quit rare anymore. ... RAID bit in. ... Bob's technique) handles hardware failure, cockpit failures, malware ... and all other types of failures pertaining to hard drives. ...
    (rec.outdoors.rv-travel)