[opensuse] Re: simple LAN

James Knott wrote:
Jerry Houston wrote:
James Knott wrote:
I have never had Windows as my main OS on my home computer. I've
only got it on my ThinkPad, which I also installed SUSE on. At home,
I went from DOS to OS/2, over 15 years ago and then to Linux, about 5
years ago. Whenever I have to use Windows, I feel restricted because
it's very limiting compared to Linux or OS/2.

Incredible. I'm a fan of Linux, too (else, why would I be here?), but
if you think Windows is limiting compared with OS/2, you must be using
a 15-year-old copy of Windows!

Have you actually used OS/2? Have you compare the WPS with any other
desktop, including Linux? Have you investigated the power of the object
oriented system that's far beyond what Windows can do? Then there's the
excellent multitasking, that 15 years ago, was far better than what
Windows can do today. It's a long, long list, for those who actually
learned to use the advantages of OS/2.

Yeah, I used to drive my boss crazy at a prior employers because I insisted
on using OS/2 instead of Windows. It was a pretty brilliant OS for its time,
and the Emacs port is still nearly unmatched in its versatility. I think it
could have gone a long way with more support.

--
Jonathan Arnold (mailto:jdarnold@xxxxxxxxxxxx)
Daemon Dancing in the Dark, an Open OS weblog:

UNIX is user-friendly. It's just a bit picky about who its friends are.

  • Re: Department store self-checkouts run on XP (and they crash)
    ... being far more reliable than Windows (either of that time, ... OS/2 was/is reliable and very predictable. ... OS/2 works pretty much like linux. ... Maybe the reliability was due to not being bloated? ...
    (comp.arch.embedded)
  • Re: unusual bike designs ect
    ... Assuming that the three different operating systems are Windows, Linux ... When it became apparent that OS/2 was destined to become ...
    (rec.bicycles.tech)
  • Re: Orphaned OS/2 (Another View)
    ... I grew to love WordStar and gradually moved to the last version for DOS which is 7.0d. ... I set up VNC over my in-home network for a Windows 2000 computer and a Linux computer. ... and can have a Windows 2000 window and a SuSE Linux window on my main OS/2 box to do all the "new" inovative? ...
    (comp.os.os2.misc)
  • Re: BSD: Relevant , Lennart Poettering Isnt Anymore
    ... of Linux such as RHEL, Suse, etc. seem to have made more headway into ... On the latest Windows 7, ... but honestly I still do prefer the FreeBSD approach were I can ... with OS/2) I'd be interested in hearing those thoughts. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: OS/2 =?UTF-8?B?4oCTIGdlc3Rlcm4gdW5kIGhldXRlIChXYXM6IFVURjgp?=
    ... [OS/2 Kernel] ... Und richtig, _DOS_ ist OS/1, es ward nur nie so genannt. ... Windows bis zur Version 3.11) nahtlos weiterverwendet werden konnten, und Fluch, weil wir uns damit einen Rucksack voller Steine auf den Buckel gebunden haben, den wir heute noch mitschleppen, wie zum Beispiel die Laufwerksbuchstaben. ... sich geweigert, Rechner mit dieser CPU mit Windows zu konfektionieren, das hätte nur Zores mit der Kundschaft gemacht. ...
    (de.comp.os.os2.misc)