Re: [opensuse] Locked out of my software database!

Darryl Gregorash wrote:
On 2007-06-30 19:13, John E. Perry wrote:
<snip>

(Thanks, Ken, I did know better than to follow Daniel's advice on kill
-9, although I have in the past gone straight from kill to kill -9.
I'll have to read up on kill to see what -1 is).

1 is a HUP -- "kill -l" will print a list of all signals.

Ah. So, using kill -l, I see SIGHUP, SIGINT, SIGQUIT, SIGTRAP, SIGABRT,
and SIGKILL, all of which seem to be closely related. So I still have
some reading to do to understand it and know what to do (as opposed to
following blindly the advice of people who maybe really know what's
going on :-).

Wait a minute! there's no description of kill with no parameter. and
man, as usual, has no useful information.

More googling, I guess.

jp

  • Re: When Kill dosent work
    ... > for a system call to return, and you can't kill a process that's in the ... Sometimes this timeout can be changed, ... from most frequent to least frequent. ... > provide some specific advice to you. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Voltage converter circuit - Bosch / Siemens washing machine
    ... How about getting a qualified engineer in to fix it before you kill ... Advice to an amateur? ... lots of people kill themselves every year troubleshooting unpowered ...
    (sci.electronics.repair)
  • Re: Hunting Goons
    ... kill their own kind, it's a form of justice. ... thousands of innocent people in the past few years. ... give advice to and am paid by a quango, ...
    (uk.environment.conservation)
  • Re: rename an excel workbook
    ... Thanks to all for your generous help. ... Even the mistaken "Kill" advice ... taught me something. ...
    (microsoft.public.access.formscoding)
  • Re: When Kill dosent work
    ... kill it even with kill -9. ... please tell the kernel hackers; ... from most frequent to least frequent. ... provide some specific advice to you. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)