Re: [opensuse] Soundblaster 24 live!

Thierry de Coulon wrote:
On Saturday, 21. July 2007, Bob Ewart wrote:
I have a Sound Blaster 24 Live! board on a older Dell machine. It works
in Windoze and Kubuntu, but not in openSUSE 10.2 or 10.3 alpha 6. It
used to work on older SuSE releases.

In 10.2 YAST says it's there and configured. KMix comes up with a
little red x on the icon and the mixer window shows nothing.

In 10.3 alpha 6, YAST says it's there and configured. KMix comes up
normally and the mixer window shows all the sliders. Still no sound.
lsmod shows that the ca0106 module is loaded.

I've been trying to figure out how kubuntu and suse configure the sound
system, but no luck so far.

Any help would be appreciated.

--
Bob

I've had this with a Sound Blaster Live! I'm not sure exactly what helped cure
it but you might try deleting the .xine directory in your home. It did help
once (don't remeber why acutally).

The last time I had this it was not obvious but all channels were muted (in
kmix this showed by the fact that the small "leds" over the sliders were dark
green (off), so I clicked on them, they became light green and I had sound.

Hope this helps!

Thierry

I don't have a .xine directory on either release and no "leds" in either
mixer window.

I did delete the sound card in YAST on 10.2 and re-configured it. Now
the mixer window comes up with sliders (no "leds") and KMix doesn't have
the little red x anymore. Still no sound.

--
Bob

  • Re: WARNING to potential LINUX users
    ... > audio which is not supported by linux. ... >> The very first thing I noticed was that there was NO SOUND even though ... >>started over with SuSE. ... So much for installing right out of the box on ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: [SLE] Cautionary Tales: lm_sensors for beginners
    ... really high tech and start using lm_sensors on SUSE 10.1. ... Took a while to pinpoint the sound as coming from the rheostat on the ... control knob gets rid of the noise. ... I've always found the lm_sensors stuff a bit hit and miss for detecting and setting things properly, like putting odd values in for alarm conditions. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Kmix, YaST and an explotion (SOLVED)
    ... If you use KDE 4.2 on 11.1 with any other than the official Qt version ... Although my desktop seems to be fine now (no sound though...but that's ... Capture: HDA Intel (STAC92xx Analog) ... Try opening kmix and see if the master volume has been muted ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Help configuring the sound device
    ... Apress Beginning SUSE Linux 2nd Ed. ... The thing the book leaves out is how to modify the sound driver. ... Alsa is that default sound handler for Suse. ... so you have to try all the sliders to see what they control. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Suse 10 SOUND issue
    ... I don't really understand how it can be that Suse releases a new stable ... able to make the sound work out of the box, so I'm not the only one ... Under Yast/Sound Configuration my soundcard is listed as SB Audigy (it is A2 ... can be caused by incorrect module parameters, ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)