[opensuse] KDM: Cannot log in as regular user

Hi all, something strange has happened. My SUSE 10.0 machine was
working well for many moons, but today I had to reboot to try
some BIOS setting changes. After restoring the BIOS setting to
what it was and booting up the system I was no longer able to log
in via the KDM login screen. After typing in the user name and
password, the screen blanks for a moment and the login screen reappears.
I can log in as root into KDE, though. Also, I tried various GUI
environments other than KDE (fvwm, twm , etc.) and the same problem
happens. The only environment that I could successfully log in as
a normal user is "failsafe".

After logging in under failsafe, if I type the "startkde" command
then KDE starts fine. If I close the failsafe terminal window then
my whole session gets logged out.

I don't see anything obviously wrong in the log files. I also
tried removing everything in /tmp and /var/tmp to clean up the
KDE temporary stuff, but it didn't help.

Any suggestions how to fix this? I googled and it seems this
problem has affected others too, but none of the suggested fixes
works for me.

-Ti

  • Re: Best variant of Fedora for a Virtual Machine...?
    ... at the command line: obtaining terminal windows using KDE ... Konsole is the preferred terminal emulator in KDE. ... having tried to adopt the "Fedora ... You can have several different DE's coexisting on a single Fedora installation. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: asrock, problem with nic after windows-boot - Exact Opposite issue the OP is having
    ... Indeed - I see your point - especially when it comes to distributions ... test/convert to a *nix based OS; ... It normally _runs_ under the command line, but if the GUI is doing ... problem for the OP was about Viewing ZIP files ads SubDIRs in KDE, ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: [opensuse] KDE 4.2 konsole options
    ... Does anyone know where these profile ... Except that ShowMenuBar appears to be bugged - even without command line args, ... --noframe is redundant as KDE 4 konsole never shows the extra frame, ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Just installed FreeBSD
    ... Then what do I do, how do i load kde or afterstep, ... > what command do i need to type for that to come up ... > shells for you and you work in the shells. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: [opensuse] SFTP performance degradation under Dolphin and Konqueror
    ... Dolpin and konqueror use kio_sftp to use the sftp protocol. ... uses the libssh library. ... In KDE < 4.3 times, kio_sftp called the sftp command line binary. ...
    (SuSE)