Re: [opensuse] Ext3 dir_index feature not available ?

Sbs wrote:
You haven't said what OS version you are using.
openSUSE 10.2 (32 Bit) with the latest updates.

AFAIK in opensuse 10.2 dir_index is not only included, it's enabled by default during installation. My opensuse 10.2 box certainly uses it (and I didn't have to select it).
Yes, I also think, that YaST enables "dir_index" by default when formating a new partition.

Have you tried tune2fs -l /dev/hdaX (or tune2fs -l /dev/sdaX) to show what filesystem features are enabled on your current Ext3 filesystem(s)?

$ tune2fs -l /dev/hda8|grep features
Filesystem features: has_journal ext_attr dir_index filetype
needs_recovery sparse_super

I have enabled "dir_index" on all my EXT3 filesystems and also checked them with "e2fsck -f /dev/hdaX".

Have you tried creating an Ext3 filesystem with mkfs.ext3 -O dir_index? What happens?
No, not yet. But I can do this now:

$ dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/testimage bs=1024 count=1000
1000+0 records in
1000+0 records out
1024000 bytes (1.0 MB) copied, 0.0129658 s, 79.0 MB/s
$ mke2fs -j -O dir_index /tmp/testimage
mke2fs 1.39 (29-May-2006)
/tmp/testimage is not a block special device.
Proceed anyway? (y,n) y
[...everything ok...]

But I think, tune2fs, e2fsck, mke2fs and other e2fsprogs commands do not depend on the Kernel option "CONFIG_EXT3_INDEX". If this option is not enabled, everything seems to work fine, but the directory indexes are not updated by the Kernel anyway.

Is there a way of testing, if the directory indexes are updated by the Kernel?

Greetings,
Björn

  • Re: Fwd: [opensuse] Want To Try OpenSUSE - But Struggling With Live DVD
    ... All I really want to do is install OpenSuSE on an empty ext3 partition ... i.e. on my tyan with the HT1000 chip set, ... not work because the kernel does't support it. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: OpenSUSE 11.0 and AGP video card drivers?
    ... With OpenSUSE 11.0 I first had an ATI 9700 pro hooked up to my Acer ... again to install the nvidia drivers. ... available for my kernel version. ... NVidias 'nvidia' driver ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: [opensuse] Xen install stuck
    ... system/virtualization the offer to "Install Hypervisor and Tools" ... opensuse, ubuntu) and do much searching and reading on the web and discovered that simply put, Xen is not in a good state right now on Any OS. ... Unsupported by either Xensource or the main kernel developers that is, the dist may or may no provide some support for their own builds in some cases. ... but uses not the latest developments in the virtualization and so the network, disk, memory, & cpu performance are somewhat less than what the latest form uses. ...
    (SuSE)
  • RE: Uppgrade from OpenSuse 11.1 to 11.2 causes Acer laptop to overheating...
    ... I desperately seeks help or any advice from kernel experts. ... I have Acer Aspire 5315 laptop and when I updated my OpenSuse 11.1 to ... I had a very similar problem after an openSUSE upgrade on an Acer ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Opensuse 10.3 und cdrtools-2.01.01a36 - Probleme bekannt?
    ... Nachdem es bei Opensuse 10.3 aber nur mehr sdx und nicht mehr hdx gibt, ... dass das den cdrtools mit dem neuen Kernel gut gefällt;-) ... Ich habe von den selbstkompilierten Original-cdrtools geschrieben. ...
    (de.comp.hardware.laufwerke.brenner)