Re: [opensuse] Ext3 dir_index feature not available ?

Sbs wrote:
You haven't said what OS version you are using.
openSUSE 10.2 (32 Bit) with the latest updates.

AFAIK in opensuse 10.2 dir_index is not only included, it's enabled by default during installation. My opensuse 10.2 box certainly uses it (and I didn't have to select it).
Yes, I also think, that YaST enables "dir_index" by default when formating a new partition.

Have you tried tune2fs -l /dev/hdaX (or tune2fs -l /dev/sdaX) to show what filesystem features are enabled on your current Ext3 filesystem(s)?

$ tune2fs -l /dev/hda8|grep features
Filesystem features: has_journal ext_attr dir_index filetype
needs_recovery sparse_super

I have enabled "dir_index" on all my EXT3 filesystems and also checked them with "e2fsck -f /dev/hdaX".

Have you tried creating an Ext3 filesystem with mkfs.ext3 -O dir_index? What happens?
No, not yet. But I can do this now:

$ dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/testimage bs=1024 count=1000
1000+0 records in
1000+0 records out
1024000 bytes (1.0 MB) copied, 0.0129658 s, 79.0 MB/s
$ mke2fs -j -O dir_index /tmp/testimage
mke2fs 1.39 (29-May-2006)
/tmp/testimage is not a block special device.
Proceed anyway? (y,n) y
[...everything ok...]

But I think, tune2fs, e2fsck, mke2fs and other e2fsprogs commands do not depend on the Kernel option "CONFIG_EXT3_INDEX". If this option is not enabled, everything seems to work fine, but the directory indexes are not updated by the Kernel anyway.

Is there a way of testing, if the directory indexes are updated by the Kernel?

Greetings,
Björn