[opensuse] Ext3 vs Reiser FS

I am about to install openSuSE 10.2 on two new computers and see that the
10.2 default file system is ext3 and not Reiser. I'd like some advice as
whether to accept the ext3 default or to go with Reiser as I have in the
past.

I have two 500 GB SATA II drives. My programs do lots of file I/O and can
generate files as large as 15-20 GB in some of my scientific applications.

Any advice you could give is greatly appreciated.

Buddy Coffey
Applied Research Associates
Computational and Applied Electromagnetics

  • Re: Journaling File System
    ... basically explaining that Reiser makes better use of unused CPU ... Ed is correct on the EXT3 being the only supported FS from the Redhat ... is to use JFS. ... alot of development on journalling file systems over the year. ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: [SLE] Reiser vs Ext3
    ... Dylan wrote: ... > Well, until I hear convincing evidence otherwise, I'm sticking to ext3. ... >>Is Reiser good for you on the partitions that aren't shared? ... All of my nfs mounts are reiser. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] reiser and ext3 confusion
    ... What is the default for ext3 in SUSE? ... (Also none for Reiser, ... Almost no filesystem does defragmentation. ... journals can help this at the cost of speed at various levels. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Any difference in using Ext2/Ext3 instead of ReiserFS file system?
    ... > Ext2/Ext3 file system? ... I have chosen ext3 for my partitions, ... I had some data corruption problems with Reiser at a time I was ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: [SLE] Reiser vs Ext3
    ... Well, until I hear convincing evidence otherwise, I'm sticking to ext3. ... start getting progressively slower on nfs mounts, and file operations ... > Is Reiser good for you on the partitions that aren't shared? ...
    (SuSE)