Re: [opensuse] Ext3 vs Reiser FS

On Monday 10 September 2007 11:30, Aaron Kulkis wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

The Monday 2007-09-10 at 10:03 -0400, bcoffey@ wrote:
I am about to install openSuSE 10.2 on two new computers and see that
the 10.2 default file system is ext3 and not Reiser. I'd like some
advice as whether to accept the ext3 default or to go with Reiser as I
have in the past.

The reiserfs will likely not get improvements, that's all. If it has
worked for you in the past, you can just keep using it as safely as
before. I use it.

In my experience, reiserfs is not safe. It frequently fails
(corruption and/or file loss) in the event of improper shutdown
such as power failure or system crash.

In defence of Reiser - what version was that?

I had many problems with just the above in 9.3. Once I upgraded to 10.0, the
problems went away.

Of course, when I build my 10.2 laptop, I am using EXT3. I'm still using
Reiser on my upgraded desktops - one of which has been running since 9.1 on
Reiser.

--
kai ponte
www.perfectreign.com

  • Re: [opensuse] Ext3 vs Reiser FS
    ... default file system is ext3 and not Reiser. ... in the event of improper shutdown ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Ext3 vs Reiser FS
    ... default file system is ext3 and not Reiser. ... in the event of improper shutdown ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Ext3 vs Reiser FS
    ... the 10.2 default file system is ext3 and not Reiser. ... /dev/sda6 on /usr type xfs ... the / file system has VERY LITTLE ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Journaling File System
    ... basically explaining that Reiser makes better use of unused CPU ... Ed is correct on the EXT3 being the only supported FS from the Redhat ... is to use JFS. ... alot of development on journalling file systems over the year. ...
    (RedHat)