Re: [opensuse] Ext3 vs Reiser FS

Hello Buddy,

This is a link with descriptions of Linux file systems by Novell/SuSE
it's not recent but still valid.
http://www.novell.com/documentation/suse91/suselinux-adminguide/html/apas02.html

Regards,

Joop Boonen.

bcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I am about to install openSuSE 10.2 on two new computers and see that the
10.2 default file system is ext3 and not Reiser. I'd like some advice as
whether to accept the ext3 default or to go with Reiser as I have in the
past.

I have two 500 GB SATA II drives. My programs do lots of file I/O and can
generate files as large as 15-20 GB in some of my scientific applications.

Any advice you could give is greatly appreciated.

Buddy Coffey
Applied Research Associates
Computational and Applied Electromagnetics

  • [opensuse] RE: Siutable File Systems
    ... Previous to that I had the same RAID0 config however I was using ex3. ... The / partition is also reiser, without encryption unencrypted ... With respect to file systems info you don't need to dumb down your words ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Journaling File System
    ... basically explaining that Reiser makes better use of unused CPU ... Ed is correct on the EXT3 being the only supported FS from the Redhat ... is to use JFS. ... alot of development on journalling file systems over the year. ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: 128G Limit in Reiserfs? Or the Kernel? Or something else?
    ... > filesystem on it I decided to put a ReiserFS ... Reiser can definitly do larger file systems than that (I have a Reiser ... send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: "Native" journaling file systems?
    ... I've used several journaling file systems in Linux and like the Reiser ... As far as a native journaling fs for FreeBSD, Scott Long and a SoC developer started work on a jUFS, but I'm not certain as to the status. ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: 128G Limit in Reiserfs? Or the Kernel? Or something else?
    ... Reiser has no inodes so I guarantee your out but it's irrelevant. ... Thus spake Dave Gilbert: ... > Reiser can definitly do larger file systems than that (I have a Reiser ... send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in ...
    (Linux-Kernel)