Re: [opensuse] RPMs needed for kernel upgrade?

On Monday 22 October 2007 01:49:46 am Michael Fischer wrote:
On Sun, Oct 21, Ben Kevan wrote:
Hey Michael,

It is pretty simple to install your own Kernel, esp. using the HEAD
repo..

Add the following to your YaST Repositories:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Kernel:/HEAD/openSUSE_Factory/
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Kernel:/KMP/openSUSE_Factory_KO
TD_HEAD/

Problem is... I don't want to run into the side effect of having
my kernel *replaced*. I want to install a second one.

Not sure if the replacement misbehavior is a speciality of zypper,
or of Yast as well, but best to play safe. I meant to install the
rpms by means of cli "rpm -i ...."

Thanks.

Michael
--
Michael Fischer
michael@xxxxxxxx

Hi Michael,

No problem at all then, I've done this on many machines to test kernels etc.

You can just download the needed RPMS (I guess that was your original
question) from:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Kernel:/HEAD/openSUSE_Factory/

The only required is the one that goes with your architecture (ie. mine is
i586), so I would download the default.i586, I would also download the
kernel-source package since I need to compile some things including VMWare.

If you have any hardware that relies an non-oss KMP, then download the
corresponding from:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Kernel:/KMP/openSUSE_Factory_KOTD_HEAD/

Just to kind of show you what you need, do a rpm -qa | grep kernel

This will tell you what you have installed, and you'll just have to download
the new version of those same things.. and install using sudo rpm -ivh
kernel....

Just to demonstrate, I went ahead and did this on my machine.. now I show:
rpm -qa | grep kernel
kernel-default-2.6.23.1-104.1
linux-kernel-headers-2.6.22-19
kernel-source-2.6.22.9-0.4
kernel-default-2.6.22.9-0.4
kernel-source-2.6.23.1-104.1

and kmp:
rpm -qa | grep kmp
iwlwifi-kmp-default-1.1.0_2.6.22.5_31-2
ipw3945-kmp-default-1.2.2_2.6.23.1_104.1-5.13
nvidia-gfxG01-kmp-default-100.14.19_2.6.22.5_30-1.1
ipw3945-kmp-default-1.2.2_2.6.22.5_31-5.18

Of course I had to install nvidia using the downloadable install script, but
everything else went great.

Cheers and good luck.

Ben

  • Re: Existing DSL not detected by re-install
    ... >Just in case you compile something that needs the kernel source. ... and then failing to install because ... Anyway, I had the same *problem*, the 2nd time with the download from ... >or two after a change is made on the parent sites. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • SUSE Security Announcement: Linux Kernel (SuSE-SA:2004:001)
    ... installable through rpm, because of a bug in RPM (update of ... the kernel source is not ... sources that the binary kernel rpm packages are made from. ... are being offered to install from the maintenance web. ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • [Full-Disclosure] SUSE Security Announcement: Linux Kernel (SuSE-SA:2004:001)
    ... installable through rpm, because of a bug in RPM (update of ... the kernel source is not ... sources that the binary kernel rpm packages are made from. ... are being offered to install from the maintenance web. ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • RE: EL4 ES kernel recompile
    ... We need to build the source rpm to get the sources. ... Install kernel-.src.rpm (given the default RPM configuration, ... the kernel tree will be located ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: Is Linux always this slow?
    ... but since I use command-line rpm all the time this does not bother me ... Installing a new kernel is really easy. ... modules_install; make install', ... you are lucky, you get a nice kernel RPM you can install just like any ...
    (linux.redhat)