[opensuse] Questions on 32-bit v. 64-bit

Hi guys,

When I install openSUSE, how does it know whether it should install a
32-bit kernel or a 64-bit kernel?

Does any part of the installation reflect that?

The complication arises when the system originally has 2GB RAM but
will later on be increased to 8GB RAM.

If the installed kernel had been 32-bit, is it possible to upgrade the
whole installation to 64-bit to support the increase in RAM?

Let's take for example the Xeon 5130 processor.

  • Re: slow (s-l-o-w) install
    ... Now, it's my understanding that somehow, there is 64mb of ram that is not ... attempts to install itself at the top of the memory. ... dragging everything that interacts with the kernel ... As this seems to be a problem in the very latest crop of Intel ...
    (Fedora)
  • input method on fc3?
    ... FC3 and soundcard ... >> without problems and sound works fine. ... What modules were loaded with kernel ... I can install and configure samba on Linux as easily as I can install ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Looooong Horror story, 10.04.4 LTS on an amd turion 64 bit laptop version
    ... I used a procedure which installed a custom combo of kernel 3.5.7 ... which appeared to install without any gotchas. ... The update-manager finished, I had it recheck, nothing left to do ... No networking at all, usb detection of my plugging in the radio ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Fedora Core 2, Averatec 3220 notebook
    ... I recently bought an Averatec 3220 notebook computer and have spent some ... Following is a detailed "howto" guide for installing Linux (Fedora Core ... Linux distro, which is easy to install and use, and for lots of answers ... We need one because the default Fedora Core kernel doesn't grok NTFS ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Kernel panic
    ... CentOS uses an antique kernel, it might not support the chipset on your motherboard. ... I'm most suspecting the RAM as discussed in my other post. ... But it got better as time went on and finally I could run Memtest for over an hour with no errors. ... Then tried the install again and it went without a hitch. ...
    (linux.redhat)