RE: [opensuse] Re: Maxtor removable disk not recognized

Le Wednesday 12 March 2008 15:04:07 Charles philip Chan, vous avez écrit :
Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
But, but, here we are using a Linux system and not Windows.

What happens if the OP doesn't have a Windows system to play with?

(Always this fallback to, "Try doing this in Windows and then see what
happens....". Stuff Windows! Can't something be done EVER without
first being referenced to Windows?!)

you could always set up a once per 10 minutes cron job that dd's a random sector of the drive to /dev/null, thus always reading the disk, and always keeping it spinning...

  • Re: sharing printer with samba in FC4
    ... > install the driver and also warns me about incorrect ... Recommend you setup the printer on the windows system to use lpr to ... through the iptables firewall on the linux system. ... Also note that if the printer is connected to a windows system you can ...
    (Fedora)
  • BootCamp
    ... Camp takes advantage of the fact that your new Intel-equipped iMac, ... or MacBook Pro uses the same type of Intel processor that normal Windows PCs ... While most of the information currently available on Boot Camp ... Windows system and finally, even how to virtualize Windows using Parallels. ...
    (de.comp.sys.mac.misc)
  • Re: False Positive? No Its MS Malware!
    ... It calls it a randomly named file....C Windows system: ... It remains in Windows system. ... threat. ... The MS Security Update KB891711 was released to fix "Cursor and Icon ...
    (alt.comp.anti-virus)
  • Re: Iphone vs. Android
    ... Well something that derives from a UNIX kernel anyway. ... The major advantage of Linux is that it's easy and fast and so allows my equipment a longer life and I also find it easier to support than any Windows system despite my also being trained to support Windows systems at about the same time. ...
    (uk.telecom.mobile)
  • Re: Syncing Server Time
    ... make the windows system the master of time or a unix system. ... all the other systems looking at the 2 slave ntp servers. ...
    (comp.sys.hp.hpux)