Re: [opensuse] VMWARE vs. Virtual Box

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 4:10 PM, Vahe Avedissian <vyav@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm running opensuse 10.3 x64 and I have both vmware server and virtual box installed. I have created an xp vm using the SAME
XP boot disk with both.

I see virtual box boot my XP image in about 3 seconds, whereas vmware takes several MINUTES. I have not tried to delete and
re-create the vmware vm. I just wanted to know if anyone else is seeing similar behavior.

Vahe

Your Virtual Box is lying to you. You couldn't boot XP in 3 seconds
even on REAL hardware.

Virtual box is simply SUSPENDING the XP. (memory image to disk).

You can get the same performance from Vmware by choosing VM/Power/Suspend from
the menu. This almost always works with later versions of windows and
almost always
causes problems with Win9x versions.

  • Re: Quick Question re VMware
    ... I have the following DRI operating systems running under VMware ... The AT patched version of CP/M 1.1 is needed to avoid problems ... To make the virtual machine look more like an old PC try the ... Boot virtual machine from CP/M 1.1 floppy and run HDMAINT. ...
    (comp.os.cpm)
  • Re: Quick Question re VMware
    ... I have the following DRI operating systems running under VMware ... The AT patched version of CP/M 1.1 is needed to avoid problems ... To make the virtual machine look more like an old PC try the ... Boot virtual machine from CP/M 1.1 floppy and run HDMAINT. ...
    (comp.os.cpm)
  • Re: PC boot block programming madness
    ... BootSignature DW 0xAA55; boot signature, to make BIOS detect my disk ... VMWare and real world computers won't output any visible text. ... Bochs outputs the text just as I would expect it to be ...
    (comp.lang.asm.x86)
  • Re: Noob intall issues
    ... I've managed to boot a live demo system from the CD under VMware (5.5 ... but that gives me the most trouble. ... Second choice is VMware, I'm using 5.5.2 build-29772 under Linux. ... I think I may be making progress with qemu. ...
    (comp.os.plan9)
  • Re: Uses of OpenVMS Virtual Machines
    ... universal boot driver was allegedly not in compliance with the GPL? ... things to run on the VMware host rather than in clients. ... To further secure the systems they moved to the much smaller ESXi ... They also lowered the memory requirement for the ESX host -- since the ...
    (comp.os.vms)