Re: [opensuse] Gnome PPP: Can not open Modem

Carlos E. R. wrote:

The Friday 2008-03-14 at 02:29 +0100, Terje J. Hanssen wrote:

> Running the same command as normal user, results in the same warning output as the Gnome PPP log file above, and no connection.

Ok, do you mean that wvdial works as root, but not as user? Then it is a questions of the permissions on the device file /dev/ttyACM0. Perhaps you will need to make wvdial suid or call it using sudo.

Ah!

- From my notes, in "/etc/permissions.local" I did:

/usr/bin/wvdial root.dialout 4750

Now I also added that line

I think that was all I needed. No, I added my user to group dialout, too.

My user was already added to the three groups: dialout, video, users

Please copy here the exact error that a wvdial session prints.

Did a reboot, but still this doesn't work running the dialup command as normal user:

~> wvdial --config wvdialice.conf
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.56 (abuild@balli)
--> Cannot open /dev/ttyACM0: Device or resource busy
--> Cannot open /dev/ttyACM0: Device or resource busy
--> Cannot open /dev/ttyACM0: Device or resource busy
~>

I can add that there also may be some bug related to the CDMA USB modem driver, because after disconnecting the modem and system restart, the /dev/ttyACM0 is disappeared and the driver has to be reinstalled (as root) and with output as follows:

# ./RDEVCHG

RDEVCHG Linux Version : 1.0
Please, Wait!
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 16d8:680a
Success SwitchMode.
*** stack smashing detected ***: ./RDEVCHG terminated
#

My provider's support has told me that the Gnome PPP launcher does work with this modem on Ubuntu, and this is also my main purpose on openSUSE.

Cheers,
Terje

  • Re: ANNOUNCE: Swank 3.0.0 alpha 2
    ... else switches for parsing the command line. ... You could provide a java-only counterpart to the odb; ... desktop and gnome colors and fonts when gnome is the current desktop. ... The button radius is wrong; under aqua a text button features ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • Re: [opensuse] Using aria2
    ... On Friday 15 December 2006 03:57, Patrick Shanahan wrote: ... Does LOG refer to the log file? ... Can you tell me the command using this program ... SourceForge is not an openSUSE site. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: PATH ~/bin under gnome
    ... not on the gnome environment. ... Right - ~/.bashrc works when you call stuff from the command line. ... you want to run a script that has a graphical front end (using ... If, on the other hand, you want to use a GNOME menu item or panel launcher ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: LoadLibrary race/deadlock
    ... Can you include the callstack for that thread by using the 'k' command? ... > Closing open log file c:\enclog ... > Intel compiler which we want to use because of its Pentium-M> optimizations. ... >> Most likely your problem is caused by somebody holding the loader>> lock, so you should see something like this in the output:>> ...
  • Re: [opensuse] Missing monitor during OpenSuSE 11.0 Install
    ... know how to pipe the output of the command 'sax2 -a' to a log file I ... not so if you ask for another card. ... BIOS would enable onboard adapter although it was manually disabled, ...
    (SuSE)