Re: [opensuse] Gnome PPP: Can not open Modem

Carlos E. R. wrote:

>> - From my notes, in "/etc/permissions.local" I did:
>>
>> /usr/bin/wvdial root.dialout 4750

> Now I also added that line

I forgot to mention that you need to run:

SuSEconfig --module permissions

I would try accessing the modem with minicom, but I'm unsure because of what you add later.

But the most important, now I could dialup with wvdial as a normal user.

And, BINGO; now also my setup in GNOME PPP does connect with the CMOTECH EVDO CDMA USB modem D-50 for mobil broadband.
Here is the cleaner connection log from Gnome PPP:

--> Ignoring malformed input line: ";Do NOT edit this file by hand!"
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.56 (abuild@balli)
--> Cannot get information for serial port.
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Sending: ATM1L3DT#777
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATM1L3DT#777
CONNECT
--> Carrier detected. Waiting for prompt.
--> Don't know what to do! Starting pppd and hoping for the best.
--> Starting pppd at Fri Mar 14 15:02:21 2008
--> Pid of pppd: 4431
--> Using interface ppp0
--> local IP address 91.149.7.xxx
--> remote IP address 10.64.64.yy
--> primary DNS address 194.x.y.z
--> secondary DNS address 194.x.y.z
--> Script /etc/ppp/ip-up run successful
--> Default route Ok.

This mobil connection was done after a reboot, disconnection of my wired ADSL broadband and lastly started Gnome PPP after login.

This brought in another thought; is there a way to let the Gnome Network Manager handle also the wireless USB modem connection/network as it does for my wired ADSL network?

Cheers,
Terje