Re: [opensuse] Is it possible to remove a disappeared Panel, and install a new one?

Stan Goodman wrote:
On Sunday 30 March 2008 12:38:29 auxsvr@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Sunday 30 March 2008, Stan Goodman wrote:
It is really difficult to operate without the Panel that has
vanished, because it contains the virtual desktops. If I could
destroy the thing and make a new one, and could emplace the applets
on it as they were, life would be much easier. Can that be done?
Do you mean that the panel doesn't start when logging in? I had the
same problem some months ago, it was caused by a .desktop file
(kcmkicker.desktop if I remember correctly) in the .kde directory. Try
deleting it.

When the the machine boots (to this user), it does appear momentarily, and then disappears. That doesn't sound like what you describe, but stranger things have happened lately; it's worth a try to delete the file.

I should have mentioned that I have a second panel on the desktop, at the top of the screen, currently containing only two icons. If this one is displayed, then the problem is limited to the default panel, which is at the bottom of the screen.

Stan,

I believe the proper command is:

dcop kicker kicker restart

I ran into this problem with compiz a while back

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC