Re: [opensuse] Dead motherboard? Disk ok?

On March 29, 2008 07:17:38 pm j.e.perry@xxxxxxx wrote:
I have a desktop with an Asus K8V-X SE motherboard. It recently stopped
booting, saying the hard drive failed smart tests.

But when I try to go into the rescue system to save my data, the installer
goes through the warning to save my data and replace the drive, then hangs
when it tries to load via82cxxx, even when I give the kernel parameter
"brokenmodules=via82cxxx", as the installer advises during boot.

So, is it safe to say my motherboard is broken, and the hard drive probably
ok? Or are the problems independent, implying that both broke at about the
same time?

John Perry

Hard drives are so cheap these days - a 750 GB SATA drive for about $120 -
that it's not worth futzing with an old drive - UNLESS you have data saved on
it you don't want to lose.

I'd run Spinrite against it first - it's a non-destructive drive repair
program you can get at grc.com.

Some people have also had luck with taking the drive out and trying to read it
on another system.

You can also look at your SMART settings - see the article How do I make SMART
Reports stop? in o.o.s.-support-general-applications in novell newsgroups.

I rsync all my drives to a 750GB USB drive, myself, for that reason.

--
Robert Smits CEP525G

Nanaimo, Duncan & District Labour Council
Box 822 Nanaimo, V9R 5N2 Ph 250-753-0201
Fax 250-753-2954 Email labour@xxxxxxxxx

  • [Solved (kind of)] Re: Installing Wheezy on btrfs only (multi-device)
    ... I created the btrfs filesystem using the ubuntu live cd (2 subvolumes, ... The installer only fails to install the grub bootloader, ... using the third partition from each drive. ... the 6 drives as my root filesystem using btrfs as the filesystem, ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Debian Sarge on SATA
    ... My CDROM works fine, only after loading the wrong drivers I had some issues with it, but that's pretty obvious. ... If I don't find a solution, I will go ahead and buy an IDE drive to install Debian to; I just can't believe, that I can't get it to work with SATA and this really bugs me... ... As soon as the installer tries to locate the HDD it fails with an error message. ... I actually was unable to install Sarge onto my older Pentium 3 machine because I was using a PCI controller that would allow me to use larger hard drives that my motherboard's controller could handle. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Re. PCs. Was Re. Jeremiah. Was Re: OT: Verizon getting rid of newsgroup access
    ... Mac Breck a écrit: ... instead of loading tray drives). ... Usually preinstalled Nortons have only the installer copied on the disk and count their expiration time from the date of install. ... I know people used to the trackpoint and who state they couldn't use anything else and have to get their hands off the keyboard to get a touchpad or even worse grab a mouse without completely breaking their rythm. ...
    (rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated)
  • Re: P-II ASUS box wont boot another drive
    ... Since I've never had Etch's installer actually _install_ grub to the ... drives in my 486. ... It had clogged the CPU fan and the PS fan. ... Athlon, I don't want to make it dependant on the Athlon with something ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: DANGER!!! Problems with 10.04 installer (RAID devices *will* get corrupted)
    ... remove drives with important data during the install. ... Suppose you have a hard drive with some partitions on it. ... those partitions you have a linux file system which houses your data. ... disaster with the ubuntu installer. ...
    (Ubuntu)