Re: [opensuse] Well, there goes any hope for ReiserFS 4....

Carlos E. R. wrote:

The Tuesday 2008-04-29 at 10:40 -0700, Sloan wrote:

> That's your only reason? I have other reasons, mainly performance. I just did a quick and dirty "what the heck" filesystem performance test on my OS10.3 workstation at home, where I use reiserfs, but also have ext3 and xfs test partitions.

> The test simply consisted of timing the copy of a dvd image to another partition.

> bleh, ext3 took over twice as long as either reiser or xfs.

Now do the test copying 100.000 files of 200 bytes, and you will see a large difference ;-)

Oh sure, that's the strength of reiser... I just didn't realize it blew away ext3 that badly on big files too.

Joe

  • Re: SuSE 9 Pro raiser convert to ext3
    ... >> It's not possible to convert the Reiser FS to ext3. ... The reason why is, I 've read about that raiser is ... -Mark Twain ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: [opensuse] Goodbye to suse
    ... There is no reason what so ever to switch filesystems on ... this list telling about Reiser 3 corrupting data, sometimes recoverable, ... So, two weeks ago, I got what I see as good reason -- my / partition was ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: REISER versus EXT4 on Suse 11.2
    ... cost more to do the allocate/shrink cycle each time than to just leave ... mv-mkdir-mvtrick to reclaim space. ... People likeReiser because it performs so well and you don't need ... Reiserfs brought excellent filesystem performance to Linux. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: [opensuse] Goodbye to suse
    (SuSE)
  • Re: FAT16 FS type on USB stick
    ... Use gparted to reformat it to EXT3. ... Linux will mount the stick with just about any file system but there is ... no reason to use an inefficient one if you don't have to. ... Couldn't I use fdisk? ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)