Re: [opensuse] Virtual box usb, shared folder and etc?

On Sunday 18 May 2008 01:42:36 David C. Rankin wrote:
John wrote:
On Saturday 17 May 2008 20:39:14 John wrote:
On Saturday 17 May 2008 18:35:19 John wrote:
On Saturday 17 May 2008 17:15:03 Rajko M. wrote:
On Saturday 17 May 2008 10:38:57 am John wrote:
On Saturday 17 May 2008 15:57:41 Rajko M. wrote:
On Saturday 17 May 2008 07:24:07 am John wrote:

This is what I'm reading right now:
/usr/share/doc/packages/VirtualBox/UserManual.pdf

The VirtualBox here is 1.6.0, binary package from Sun.

--
Regards, Rajko
http://en.opensuse.org/Portal needs helpful hands.

Hi
I've been reading it for 2days :)

John

So what you say about section Folder Sharing?

The filesystem vboxsf is part of guest additions that must be
installed. The script to install them needs make, gcc and
kernel-source installed. The iso image for guest additions will be
mounted in running virtual 10.3 /media directory.

I'm running mandriva 2008-1 i586 as a guest on a suse 10.3 x64 host.
There doesn't seem to be a problem installing the guest additions other
than that an error message is generated. That relates to DKMS and
didn't seem to matter as the additions are reported as being correctly
installed later. I've since found a number of mandriva DKMS's relating
to virtualbox and reinstalled the additions. It still reports no DKMS
found but seems to install the additions.

What I'm not clear about is just what if anything has to be done with
the shared folder on the host and exactly what mount instruction if any
is needed on the guest. A straight mount instruction just generates a
not found in fstab etc error message.

I don't have 10.3 in VBox, so I can't check right now. It will be
there sometimes tomorrow, after test install of openSUSE 11.0 Beta 3
and check how it works there. Now guest additions installer complains
on missing kernel includes in Beta 2 kernels source, but since new
beta is out, I have no interest to dig deeper this version. I have
feeling that it will be the same with Beta 3; it looks like guest
additions script has the same problem as nvidia installer script, due
to kernel changes.

--
Regards, Rajko
http://en.opensuse.org/Portal needs helpful hands.

Hi
Now I've installed the mandriva virtualbox dkms's and re installed the
guest extensions all's ok. The mount command shown in the virtualbox
manual for a shared folder is fine.

Going on that the guest extensions have been installed correctly.

Still no luck with USB. The problem there seems to be that vertical box
isn't picking up that a usb device is connected.

I tried mount usbfs but still no usb. The fix in the vb's user manual
isn't available in suse 10.3. The udev rules file is over written on
every update in any case. KDE's file search is still crap. It can't
exclude directories from a search. 25mins later it tells me that no file
contains
devpath=/module/usbcore

John

I now have the usb working it needs the following line added to suse 10.3
fstab (the host)

none /proc/bus/usb usbfs
auto,busgid=XXX,busmode=0775,devgid=XXX,devmode=0664 0 0

All on one line of course.

The value for XXX can be obtained by
grep vboxusers /etc/group
in the console

All I need now is how to automount the shared folder in the mandera
guest. I suspect that this can be done in fstab but how?

John

John,

Where did you find the usb fstab information? I will give it a shot. When
I was working on vbox usb, what I found was to set fstab to the following:

usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs
noauto,mode=0664,gid=114 0 0

and then edit /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev-default.rules and modify the usb
rule:

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ACTION=="add", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device",
NAME="bus/usb/$env{BUSNUM}/$env{DEVNUM}", MODE="0664"

Looking at the differences in the fstab line, what does the first "none"
verses "usbfs" mean or do? Next the difference with "auto" and "noauto"? I
guess the "gid" in the fstab entry I found would serve for both the busgid
and devgid in the entry you have.

Thanks for posting what you found. I'll look at man fstab again and see if
I can make sense of it.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC

:) As far as I'm concerned it's a mystical satanic incantation obtained from
the vbox forum site under faq. It does work on 10.3 ia64 though and is the
only change I've made. I looked at man too and am none the wiser.

I'm still not happy about the change needed to cause the guest to auto load
the shared folder. I feel that it should just need the correct line in the
guest's fstab or some where else in it and nothing else.

My initial difficulties where down to not installing mandriva's dkms's kernel
modules. I can now manually mount the directory without any trouble at all.
Silly me because the vbox user manual suggests that for mandriva and ubunto.

<David. I chose mandriva by the way because of your earlier comments. Looks to
me that they have learned their lesson well.>

John