Re: [opensuse] OpenSUSE 11 and Nvidia on Dell laptop

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 12:04 PM, Christopher Dick <jcdick1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have a Dell Latitude D820 laptop that ran fine with OpenSuse 10.3. I did a fresh install of OpenSuse 11, and everything seemed to be okay. I am not sure why it chose to install the PAE kernel, but that's neither here nor there, really. I got it up and running, and added the Nvidia repository via Yast's tool, checking the box in Community Repositories.

After installation, X won't run. It tells me that it can't find any displays:
(II) Setting vga for screen 0.
(**) NVIDIA(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32
(==) NVIDIA(0): RGB weight 888
(==) NVIDIA(0): Default visual is TrueColor
(==) NVIDIA(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
(**) NVIDIA(0): Enabling RENDER acceleration
(II) NVIDIA(0): Support for GLX with the Damage and Composite X extensions is
(II) NVIDIA(0): enabled.
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device PCI:1:0:0.
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Please see the COMMON PROBLEMS section in the README for
(EE) NVIDIA(0): additional information.
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device!
(II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
(II) UnloadModule: "wfb"
(II) UnloadModule: "fb"
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

Has anyone else had this issue? Its really getting me frustrated.

I'm betting someone has seen it which is why they wrote a common problems
section.
Did you follow this page?
http://en.opensuse.org/NVIDIA