Re: [opensuse] SSH Over LAN Problem

Per Jessen wrote:
Joe Morris wrote:

On 08/04/2008 07:37 AM, Donald D Henson wrote:
No error messages at first. When I enter the command, the cursor goes
to the next line and just sits there until time out. Here's the
command and result:

dhenson@Earth-svr:~/Desktop> ssh dhenson@Venus-ws
ssh: connect to host Venus-ws port 22: Connection timed out
dhenson@Earth-svr:~/Desktop>

Is it a DNS problem? Try the local IP, i.e. ssh dhenson@xxxxxxxxxxx

If it's not DNS, then check if

1) the firewall on the target machine accepts port 22 traffic and
2) if sshd is running on the target machine.

/Per Jessen, Zürich

My firewall is my router. Both source and target machines are on the
same side of the firewall. sshd appears to be running on both machines.

--
Don Henson

  • Re: Mac `owned in hacking competition
    ... the router's port forwarding rules. ... The firewall or a NAT router only stops connections initiated from ... ssh will let you set up forwarded ports in both ... You start an ssh session from the target machine (this is ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: [opensuse] SSH Over LAN Problem
    ... command and result: ... ssh: connect to host Venus-ws port 22: Connection timed out ... Try the local IP, i.e. ssh dhenson@xxxxxxxxxxx ... if sshd is running on the target machine. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: it takes a long long long time to time-out a login attempt
    ... > I'm trying to ssh into my FreeBSD box from my ... Sounds like classic DNS timeout problems. ... That forces the resolver on the target machine to ... If your target machine is unable to access the Internet root servers ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: How do I get two machines to talk to one another?
    ... Mapping drives requires a password be set on the target machine. ... network setup ... drives to get sharing to work on two XP computers. ... The error message you are getting indicates a firewall issue. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • RE: [opensuse] rsync - keys - no-password question
    ... the simple way to do this is to just generate a public key on ... You can to this totally by ssh. ... Just make the copy in the .ssh directory. ... target machine .ssh dir without overwriting the existing public key on ...
    (SuSE)