[opensuse] My root password has changed!

Yesterday I was out of town. This morning I tried to start up the wifi
(11.0 doesn't restart the network after a suspend-to-disk), and the root
password I've been using since I got this computer doesn't work now.
All the other accounts that I've tried login fine.

john@embelex:~> su
Password:
su: incorrect password
john@embelex:~> su -
Password:
su: incorrect password
john@embelex:~> su root
Password:
su: incorrect password
john@embelex:~>

Is there anything I can do short of reinstalling suse?

John Perry

  • Re: Urgent help needed with Login problems after installation of FC1
    ... >su: incorrect password ... >>symptom trying to su back to root. ... I was unable to boot using the boot floppy. ... >>I did a minimal install and was able to login as root, ...
    (Fedora)
  • su issues
    ... prompt me to type a password and automatically jumps to reporting it as ... EXAMPLE USER TO ROOT FAILURE: ... su: incorrect password ...
    (linux.redhat)
  • Re: [opensuse] My root password has changed!
    ... (11.0 doesn't restart the network after a suspend-to-disk), and the root ... su: incorrect password ... Hi John, ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Solaris root login only at console question
    ... > so that direct root login isn't allowed except on the console. ... Which is correct behaviour, otherwise there is information leakage about ... If I supply the incorrect password, I get another prompt for username: ...
    (Focus-SUN)
  • Re: su issues ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
    ... you a bulk list of addional information ... SU fails regardless of what user you are and what user you try to switch ... > EXAMPLE USER TO ROOT FAILURE: ... > su: incorrect password ...
    (linux.redhat)