Re: [opensuse] New Laptop Hard Drive

On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 18:42 +0200, Anders Johansson wrote:
On Tuesday 05 August 2008 17:58:15 James Pifer wrote:
I got a new 320 gb hard drive to replace my current 120 gb. The old
drive is running OSS 10.3.

I know the cleanest way is to reinstall the OS and then restore data,
etc, but I'd rather move the installation than reinstall everything.

I've tried:

Ghost - Bombs at different locations

Ghost for Linux + gparted - This seems to transfer everything ok. Then I
tried to use gparted to check the file systems and resize them. Problem
is this results in:
Unable to open /dev/sr0 read-write (Read-only file system). /dev/sr0 has
been opened read-only.
/dev/sr0: unrecognized disk label

sr0 is a CD writer. It's probably not what you want to run gparted on

okay, so I can safely ignore those.

Anyway, I was able to get this working. I had to edit menu.lst and
change the boot partition. Then I had to change /etc/fstab. All appears
to be good now.

Thanks!
James

  • Re: Re install XP
    ... You cannot save the program from the existing installation, ... Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone ... > files to CD's and reinstall what I need. ... I do have the Norton Ghost CD's but I don't want to ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Imaging C: with an External HD >>>>3 Questions<<<<
    ... >do a complete backup of C: to an External HD, ... >External HD, and just reinstall them, and then reinstall my OS from my ... Norton Ghost is much faster on my old system by ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: Imaging C: with an External HD >>>>3 Questions<<<<
    ... >do a complete backup of C: to an External HD, ... >External HD, and just reinstall them, and then reinstall my OS from my ... Norton Ghost is much faster on my old system by ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • missing CD drive and COM service related?
    ... Later, while installing a ... I had to reinstall the COM service on my ... After I got Ghost working, ... "loaded the correct driver but cannot find the device." ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Computer Advice, Please
    ... I need to do a fresh Windoze install to correct some serious bugs, ... Ghost docs make no mention of this. ... What you may want to use in your case, John, is the "Files and Settings ... then copy them back when you reinstall Windows. ...
    (alt.guitar.bass)