Re: [opensuse] How to tell what format is a partions

On 08/06/2008 07:58 AM, Chuck Payne wrote:
Randall's worked, the others only read the fstab. Thanks for all your
help. I wish I could use a program to change it from ext2 to ext3
without formatting the drive.

You can. Check tune2fs. Specifically, tune2fs -j will add the journal and make the fs ext3. Man tune2fs for more info.

--
Joe Morris

  • Formatting a USB portable HDD to read it on linux and MacOS X
    ... I try formatting my portable USB 2.5" HDD on Linux (ext2 or ext3) and my ... Mac does not recognize it. ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: FAT16 FS type on USB stick
    ... box then format it to FAT32, but EXT3 is a much better file system. ... Also, you won't need journaling. ... That would be formatting the stick to ext2... ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: FAT16 FS type on USB stick
    ... but EXT3 is a much better file system. ... That would be formatting the stick to ext2... ... Not that I'm in any way suggesting that removal with unmounting is ok. ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: FAT16 FS type on USB stick
    ... box then format it to FAT32, but EXT3 is a much better file system. ... That would be formatting the stick to ext2... ... Actually a usb stick might be one of the smarter places to use ... Not that I'm in any way suggesting that removal with unmounting is ok. ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: Question on shredding a terebyte drive
    ... I've found over time that formatting with ext3 tends to remove most hidden partitions and data. ... with particularly troublesome drives I removed partitions with dos fdisk and created 1, formatted to dos 5 then did the same again with ext3. ...
    (Fedora)