Re: [opensuse] Meta character

Am Sonntag, 10. August 2008 03:40:26 schrieb Henare Degan:
It depends a bit on your keyboard layout, but usually, "meta" is the
"alt" key on your keyboard

Usually "meta" is the "Windows"/"Start" key and I think it's the
"Apple" key on an Apple keyboard. This is why it's called "meta", I
never thought it was a great name, anyone want to come up with a
better name? :)

Yeah, that was my first thought too.

Alt should be named Alt.
Meta (and I saw it at least once reffered as "Super")-key is the key with the
windows logo/tux penguin/Apple thingi.

Greetings
Michael

  • Re: My Alt keys dont work!
    ... I guess there's no software way around my problem (my built-in keyboard ... has a stuck Alt key so I had to disable it with Xmodmap, ... I tried remapping various keys on the external keyboard to ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: How to type letter ""?
    ... No, not the physical keyboard layout, but the current "active" logical keyboard layout that happens to be in effect in your operating system with your current regional settings. ... If you're using the US layout, "Alt Gr" will work just like the left "Alt" key, regardless of what it says on the keycap. ... The symbol marked up in the lower-right corner can be produced by holding down the "Alt Gr" key while pressing the other key - exactly the same way you produce alternative characters from the numeric row when using the "Shift" key. ...
    (alt.usage.english)
  • Re: Debian seems to have forked cdrtools
    ... On Thursday 07 September 2006 07:44, Nigel Henry wrote: ... it had a valid character for almost any keyboard ... It's the Right Alt you need to use. ... click on keyboard layout, Xkb submenu tab on the right, pull down to 3rd ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Aplgies for errors and confusion was Re: newcomer
    ... press Ctrl + Alt + Backspace? ... the same keyboard. ... "Del" is a separate key on an extended keyboard which does a forward ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: Debian seems to have forked cdrtools
    ... On Thursday 07 September 2006 02:13, Gene Heskett wrote: ... it had a valid character for almost any keyboard combo ... It's the Right Alt you need to use. ... Right Alt, and the Shift key at the same time, but in Kmails composer I've ...
    (Fedora)