Re: [opensuse] OT - How to tell spamassassin to "Unlearn" something as spam.

John Andersen wrote:
On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 6:04 PM, Patrick Shanahan <paka@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
* David C. Rankin <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [08-14-08 18:21]:
Spamassassin has decided that several of my list serve messages are
spam. How do I tell spamassassin to unlearn the messages as spam so
that they are not-spam?

man sa-learn
and/or whitelist in ~/.spamassassin/user_prefs

--

First, I don' think this IS off topic....

Second, David, this will be a reoccurring situation over time. All your users
will find false negatives and false positives and you might as well figure out
some solution that is easily implemented across all users.

We set up two mailboxes on each Imap account (this was one of the
issues that got us to Imap in the first place), labled "Missed-Spam"
and "Not-Spam" (or what ever).

We also have a mailbox called just plain "Spam".
Our system wide sieve scripts puts spam there.

All our users have to do is move / copy messages that spamassassin
falsely tags into the Missed or Not mail boxes.

A script on the server then runs sa-learn against those mailboxes
every so often. Sa-learn will also do razor-report so you help the
community if you do automate this.

The script also purges these Missed and Not boxes for each
user so that they don't have to manage them.

Its worked quite well for us, keeping our SA bayes database
up to date, unlearning falsely accused spam (and razor revoke as well).

Thanks John,

That's the practical howto I was looking for. We run a similar setup, but have never implemented an unlearn function. I like the default:

~/Mail
..
spam
spam-learn
spam-probably
..

setup with suspected spam going to spam-probably, user copy to spam-learn, then an hourly cron job running to have spamassassin learn the messages in spam-learn and then delete them. I think I'll add "spam-unlearn" to the end of the list and add the unlearn features to the cron job.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC