Re: [opensuse] Need help!

On Sunday 24 August 2008 04:27:49 pm Chuck Payne wrote:
Rajko,

Thanks, your help was what I was needing. I have install the
dd_rescue, and I have found this page that explain how to recover my
files and remove that bad sector too.

http://blog.herbertm.ca/pages/badblocks-howto

Good HOWTO.

Man, dd_rescue ROCKS!. I was able to get my data with it.  I use this
dd_rescue -A -v -b 4096 /dev/sdc2 /mnt/backup.img. That took about
3hrs for 5gigs. Once it was done, I ran reiserfsck --check
/mnt/backup.img, it came back clean. Now, I got mount -o loop
/mnt/backup.img /backup. Thanks again for the help.

Reiserfs was mentioned in this paper:
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/wind/Publications/iron-sosp05.pdf
as oversensitive to errors making sometimes situation worse than it actually
is.

There is from same Google search:
http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-ext4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg02286.html
It is a bit old.

--
Regards, Rajko

  • Reiser fsck anomaly?
    ... My daughter had a problem with her PC hanging during a boot of SuSE ... Linux Pro 8.2, and I toldher to boot from the install CDand do ... her to do reiserfsck --fix-fixable, but she still hung when she ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Reiser fsck anomaly?
    ... My daughter had a problem with her PC hanging during a boot of SuSE ... Linux Pro 8.2, and I toldher to boot from the install CDand do ... her to do reiserfsck --fix-fixable, but she still hung when she ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • problem installing a program via "Make Install"
    ... I uninstalled the standard reiserfs-3.6.9 using Yast. ... directions (sh ./configure, make, make install) as the root user. ... /usr/local/sbin directory, where reiserfsck is at. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: SuSE 9.2 wonderful, but proving to be a bit fragile
    ... > I then need to boot the DVD in rescue mode, do a reiserfsck ... > boot-up (except the once when it would not recover and I had to install ... > now it is a bit fragile for my liking. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)