Re: [opensuse] Need help!

On Sunday 24 August 2008 04:27:49 pm Chuck Payne wrote:
Rajko,

Thanks, your help was what I was needing. I have install the
dd_rescue, and I have found this page that explain how to recover my
files and remove that bad sector too.

http://blog.herbertm.ca/pages/badblocks-howto

Good HOWTO.

Man, dd_rescue ROCKS!. I was able to get my data with it.  I use this
dd_rescue -A -v -b 4096 /dev/sdc2 /mnt/backup.img. That took about
3hrs for 5gigs. Once it was done, I ran reiserfsck --check
/mnt/backup.img, it came back clean. Now, I got mount -o loop
/mnt/backup.img /backup. Thanks again for the help.

Reiserfs was mentioned in this paper:
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/wind/Publications/iron-sosp05.pdf
as oversensitive to errors making sometimes situation worse than it actually
is.

There is from same Google search:
http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-ext4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg02286.html
It is a bit old.