Re: [opensuse] cloning vista install to VM

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 2:39 PM, Ken Schneider <suse-list3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Does anyone have any experience cloning Vista installed on a new machine to
a VM? I recently purchased a new laptop and would like have Vista in a VM
then having to dual boot this machine. Well, at least until a driver is
finished for the Hauppauge 950Q HVR.

--
Ken Schneider
SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998

It sort of matters which VM you are talking about. Vmware has
utilities for this.
http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/overview.html
I have not used these.

I have used CloneZilla. But not with vista. The biggest thing with CloneZilla
is to get the disk sizes exact between the original and the clone because
its prettymuch an image copy.

Still, I think you will run afoul of Microsoft registration stuff, and you might
be better off going thru channels at microsoft to legally move the license
after copying all your data.