Re: [opensuse] cloning vista install to VM

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 2:39 PM, Ken Schneider <suse-list3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Does anyone have any experience cloning Vista installed on a new machine to
a VM? I recently purchased a new laptop and would like have Vista in a VM
then having to dual boot this machine. Well, at least until a driver is
finished for the Hauppauge 950Q HVR.

--
Ken Schneider
SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998

It sort of matters which VM you are talking about. Vmware has
utilities for this.
http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/overview.html
I have not used these.

I have used CloneZilla. But not with vista. The biggest thing with CloneZilla
is to get the disk sizes exact between the original and the clone because
its prettymuch an image copy.

Still, I think you will run afoul of Microsoft registration stuff, and you might
be better off going thru channels at microsoft to legally move the license
after copying all your data.

  • Re: [opensuse] cloning vista install to VM
    ... I recently purchased a new laptop and would like have Vista in a VM ... The biggest thing with CloneZilla ... Still, I think you will run afoul of Microsoft registration stuff, and you might ... There should be no legal need to move the license since it's the same physical hardware. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] cloning vista install to VM
    ... I recently purchased a new laptop and would like have Vista in a VM ... The biggest thing with CloneZilla ... Still, I think you will run afoul of Microsoft registration stuff, and you might ... license since it's the same physical hardware. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Dual Boot, System Drives
    ... When I setup a dual boot with XP and Vista I already had XP installed on one ... I need to dual boot Windows Vista and XP Pro. ... But some of the apps I ... use will ONLY install to C:\Program Files etc. ...
  • Re: Anyone try Vista/XP dual boot?
    ... Now I remember with the Win98/XP dual boot when I decided to go straight XP ... new HD and install Vista on this HD and everything will seem like the new HD ... received this PC in early February(not a new purchase but a replacement ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: Do I have the correct version of XP?
    ... You need to decide which way you want to go--a dual boot of Vista & XP or ... If you decide on a dual boot, ... M-Audio, the manufacturer of my midi interface, in its FAQs has that WMCE ... suggested to double operate with xp mce and with xp home or pro. ...