Re: [opensuse] Repartitioning

On Mon, 2008-08-25 at 13:39 -0700, Robert Smits wrote:
Has anyone tried to use the Partition manager to repartition - that is to
resize a partition without losing data?

I understand I'd need to do it from the install disk so that the partitions on
the hard drive aren't mounted, or something similar.

All I want to do is trim my /home partition a little and give some to the /
partition. I'm a little too close to full for my liking. I want to add
another 5 GB.

I used to do this in other OSes with Partition Manager but don't trust in with
ext3 partitions.

PartEdMagic (http://partedmagic.com) is made for this. It includes the
Gnome partition editor and some rescue and file management stuff in a
little live Linux which boots from CD or usb key. It works as well as
Partition Magic; I've used it extensively to resize partitions and even
to re-order them with never any data loss.

I think it would be a mistake to do this sort of thing to the disk
you've booted from so I wouldn't use the yast partitioner.

--
N. B. Day
N 39° 28' 25" W 119° 48' 37" 1404 meters up

  • Re: How to resize ext3 partitions?
    ... What software can I use in FC5 to resize an ext3 partition? ... Ext3 is a filesystem and not a partition. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Re: Ex3 Partition Resize program...help!
    ... >> the manual and thought it would resize partition size for me as well as ... >> with fdisk after using the program). ... And I was decreasing filesystem size back then. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: New Dell Inspiron 9400: From Vista to Fedora/Vista.
    ... gnu Parted cannot resize ntfs partition. ... you must have resizentfs (or ntfsresize?). ... fdisk, parted, etc. Kill the NTFS partition. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Problem with resize2fs
    ... you to resize a partition WITHOUT UNMOUNTING it ... ... the partition, I should be able to resize it anyway. ... option is to just create another volume, move the Samba shares over to ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Dynamically resizing Paritions running Windows
    ... Is it possible to dynamically resize a parition running Windows XP ... I will defragment the drive using the Windows Defragmenter, ... Does it involve formatting the drive, or can the partition be resized ... Boot a Live Linux CD (the Ubuntu 7.10 install disk is fine) then run ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)