Re: [opensuse] Repartitioning

On Mon, 2008-08-25 at 13:39 -0700, Robert Smits wrote:
Has anyone tried to use the Partition manager to repartition - that is to
resize a partition without losing data?

I understand I'd need to do it from the install disk so that the partitions on
the hard drive aren't mounted, or something similar.

All I want to do is trim my /home partition a little and give some to the /
partition. I'm a little too close to full for my liking. I want to add
another 5 GB.

I used to do this in other OSes with Partition Manager but don't trust in with
ext3 partitions.

PartEdMagic (http://partedmagic.com) is made for this. It includes the
Gnome partition editor and some rescue and file management stuff in a
little live Linux which boots from CD or usb key. It works as well as
Partition Magic; I've used it extensively to resize partitions and even
to re-order them with never any data loss.

I think it would be a mistake to do this sort of thing to the disk
you've booted from so I wouldn't use the yast partitioner.

--
N. B. Day
N 39° 28' 25" W 119° 48' 37" 1404 meters up