Re: [opensuse] Can't play my dvd's any more

John E. Perry wrote:
Masaru Nomiya wrote:
Hello,

# gmplayer &

gives you this result. Just do;

# gmplayer

Ah. I've been in the habit of adding the & so I didn't lose the command
line when the program started up. Leaving it off, I get a fully
functional mplayer.

In fact, "fully functional" was an exaggeration; it responds to my mouse
clicks, now. More below.

But this shows no files under /media except .hal-mtab-lock, which is
what konqueror shows -- and now that I think about it, konqueror also
showed a dozen or so files under a couple of directories when I inserted
the dvd last Thursday.

And this is the remaining problem: mplayer no longer displays
directories and files from the dvd, just as konqueror doesn't.

BUT, I explored the mplayer menus, and found that although the file
dialog and playlist show nothing at all, if I use the dvd->titles item,
I get a list of

title 1
title 2
..
..
..

--just the string "title" as above, no names. And if I click on any of
the "titles" (even though I can't see the names), mplayer plays whatever
is in that file.

So I'm now at the point that I can play my dvd's, but I can't see any
directories or playlists. I just need to fish blindly around and find a
file that has some video.

In the course of playing with menus, I found that the video decoder
selected was xv. There were half a dozen others, among which was gl2,
the opengl multiple textures version. I selected it, and my
pre-existing problem from a previous thread, poor color rendition, was
solved. Video is now beautiful.

So, I'm way ahead of where I was Friday. Thanks a lot, Masaru.
jfweber, I'll gradually try the experiments you suggested. Maybe
they'll solve the rest of my problems, if you guys don't see the
solution immediately from what I've said so far.

Also, I tried kaffeine, and it just says it doesn't have a plugin to
decode the dvd.

jp

  • Re: having problems copying a dvd
    ... I'm trying to make a copy of a dvd that I have, video, using a technique ... Be sure to play the DVD with mplayer to check which track is actually the ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Cant player DVDs with MPlayer
    ... When I run "mplayer dvd://1" from Konsole, ... Setting up LIRC support... ... There are 2 titles on this DVD. ... Opening video decoder: ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: ripping DVDs
    ... mixed results (mostly video is fine, but the sound is all jumbled). ... However, if you then want to author bigmovie.mpeg with dvdauthor, say, you ... after doing an 'mplayer -dumpstream' on a dvd title. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: having problems copying a dvd
    ... I'm trying to make a copy of a dvd that I have, video, using a technique ... Be sure to play the DVD with mplayer to check which track is actually the ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: gmplayer does not start
    ... you could start gmplayer from menu or command line then ... >> video output. ... but you could play for months with all that mplayer can do. ... Error opening/initializing the selected video_out device. ...
    (Fedora)