Re: [opensuse] We Lost One! :(

On Thursday 25 September 2008 05:33:41 pm Tony Alfrey wrote:
Dotan Cohen wrote:
2008/9/25 Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>:
I wish you luck in getting support!

Luck won't help, but community involvement would. Likewise, if anyone
needs any software that is not available for Linux, then write to the
manufacturer and request it. Then let me know, and I will write to the
manufacturer as well.

I admire your zeal but I'm curious as to how many responses you get from
manufacturers even acknowledging your mail. Dassault Systèmes
(Solidworks) was one such company that I've written an email to (many
moons ago) regarding a linux port with no response whatsoever.

I do this kind of thing often. No idea how well it works.

However, on the Solidworks front - one of my buddies happens to be a VP of
sales there. I called him this evening and had a chat. I explained to him
that it might be beneficial for them to introduce a Linux version for those
people not on Windows.

He said he'd pass it by the board, but no promises.

Worth a shot. :)

--
kai
www.filesite.org || www.perfectreign.com

  • Re: [opensuse] We Lost One! :(
    ... manufacturer and request it. ... Dassault Systèmes was one such company that I've written an email to regarding a linux port with no response whatsoever. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Which MCAD company will be first with linix version?
    ... Linux zealot and was pushing the same mantra as these people are today. ... I use to really hate Mastercam. ... I've loved SolidWorks, I’ve hated SolidWorks, I've relearned ... capabilities and left when SolidWorks caught up and went hybrid and VX ...
    (comp.cad.solidworks)
  • Re: Which MCAD company will be first with linix version?
    ... Linux zealot and was pushing the same mantra as these people are today. ... I use to really hate Mastercam. ... I've loved SolidWorks, I’ve hated SolidWorks, I've relearned ... capabilities and left when SolidWorks caught up and went hybrid and VX ...
    (comp.cad.solidworks)
  • Re: Which MCAD company will be first with linix version?
    ... Linux zealot and was pushing the same mantra as these people are today. ... I use to really hate Mastercam. ... I've loved SolidWorks, I’ve hated SolidWorks, I've relearned ... capabilities and left when SolidWorks caught up and went hybrid and VX ...
    (comp.cad.solidworks)
  • Re: Ping: Jimbo...
    ... Why does every Linux distro have severe problems with such things as graphics drivers? ... It's because manufacturers of PC hardware do not always wish to release their sources or api for all to see. ... Thus the open-source nature of linux ensures that support for such hardware will either be poor or non-existent. ... This system works rather well so if some of your hardware does not work, then blame the manufacturer and not the OS! ...
    (uk.radio.amateur)