[opensuse] Understanding hardware OS specifications

Hi,

I am investigating replaceing my outdated Marconi ADSL modem router
with this item http://trendnet.com/langen/products/proddetail.asp?prod=170_TEW-435BRM&cat=3
from Trendnet.
The website indicates that this unit is Windows, MAC and UNIX
compatible but not specifically Linux ciompatible. I have checked the
HCL at opensuse and have not found the unit. Trendnet seem to be very
pro Linux as further digging on their site under support brought up an
OS compatibility list where Linux and not UNIX was listed.

My question is:

Can a person seeking hardware that will work on Linux make the partial
or complete assumption based on the operating systems the unit does
support that the specified unit will or will not work on Linux.

If hardware is marked compatible for Windows and is an internal unit,
it is more than likely a softmodem and will only work on windows
If hardware is marked compatible for Windows and is an external unit,
it is possible that it will work on Linux, but might require /etc
fiddling.
If a unit is marked as compatible for MAC and is internal, would it
work on Windows and MAC but noton Linux? What would hapen if theunit
were an external one?
If the unit is marked as compatible with UNIX, I assume it will work
with Linux and the other operating systems mentioned before, wheter it
be internal or external.

Can definitive rules be made about hardware based on the above method
or does the hardware only gain points in favour of working with Linux
depending on its requirements or is potluck still the best option?
Given I will be accessing the unit via a wire and Firefox from Linux I
would assume there shouldn't be any hassles as web browsers don't
communicate that differeintly when addresssing hardware from different
OS's.

Any hardware gurus thoughts?

Regards
Hylton

  • Subject: Re: Linux sucks?
    ... > the applications I run in my field do not run on Linux. ... I have cygwin on Windows ... so Windows users only hit this rarely at install. ... XP users hit this when they add hardware and the 'automatic ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Need tutorials, guides... However...
    ... performance loss you'll get from an OS like Windows or Linux. ... machines out there have gone off in many different directions. ... expect to find certain hardware at certain addressess. ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Re: Just Got Back From NAMM. Why so little Linux?
    ... Windows programs, well, maybe just a little, but there are so many ... supported under Linux, well, yeah, that's let me down. ... your software becomes sufficiently out of date you'll get no more support from the ... If you don't change your hardware or OS, ...
    (rec.audio.pro)
  • Re: Paradigm shift going from Gnome2 to Gnome3
    ... Redmond) to upgrade to higher end hardware for their latest offerings as ... Linux specifically because they can cheaply clean and refurbish old ... experimentation with Linux and back towards just sticking with Windows. ... usability -- it is almost solely a lack of promotion and sales knowhow ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Linux-Notebook gesucht
    ... Gibts aber nur bei MacOS und Windows. ... dann wäre auch Linux proprietär. ... Und es funktioniert bei allen Geräten wirklich die komplette Hardware ...
    (de.comp.sys.notebooks)