Re: [opensuse] Upgrade to OpenSUSE 11

Ray Madigan skrev:
I had a machine hard drive go south so I upgraded that machine to opensuse
11. I have other machines in my lab and I want to upgrade them from 9.1 to
11.0. I have tried to find some information in the documentation, but I
couldn't find a thread. My highest priority is to have smooth running
machines.

Is it better to start from a bare hard drive and reinstall everything or to
upgrade the current installation if this is even possible?

Will it keep all/some of my applications/settings?

If the answer is written somewhere point me near it and I will ferret out
the answer myself. I appreciate your help.

Hi

Generally, a "clean new install" is (in my optics) preferable to any upgrade. It's easy to keep most settings, bookmarks and all if the existing install has a separate /home partition. This way, one may elect to new-install - reusing (i.e. NOT formatting) the /home partition.

If one doesn't have a separate /home partition, you could "rsync -avz" the entire /home to some external storage, then new-install (partitioning with a separate /home for future installs...) and hence copy the home files back into place. Not elegant, but it has worked for me.

Perhaps some others on the list??

  • Re: Upgrade (sort of) question...
    ... You would need to install it on a separate partition, ... partitioning program - Boot Magic with Partition Magic, ... An Upgrade CD of XP Pro is much the same price ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: WARNING:DO NOT UPGRADE TO CORE 4
    ... What type of upgrade did you perform, a full install or a true ... the /home directories as separate, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Fedora 16 to 17
    ... I'm about to take the plunge and upgrade, ... enough to move /usr to the / partition, however there is room to move / to ... (in single user mode) ... Next issue and it affects both systems is that /var is a separate ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: System partition - how big?
    ... What I had in mind was something along the lines of: ... I would use a single partition, ... reason for separate partitions, consider using LVM so you can change ... keeping the / and the /home separate lets you upgrade or ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: OpenSuSE 11 LiveCD doesnt install properly
    ... I have installed it on my machines and had absolutely no problem at all. ... My 10.1 -> 11.0 upgrade went well, ... There was for my 11.0 KDE4 installation using the Live CD. ... It defaults to writing the boot loader into the partition that contains ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)