Re: [opensuse] USB Under VMware

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008, Randall R Schulz wrote:

On Saturday 11 October 2008 19:01, Lucky Leavell wrote:
On Sat, 11 Oct 2008, Randall R Schulz wrote:
On Saturday 11 October 2008 16:13, Lucky Leavell wrote:

I want to run my BlackBerry desktop software on a XP guest OS
under VMware, ...

Did you instruct / configure VMware to pass the pertinent USB
device through to the guest OS? For removable devices, at least,
it's not automatic. I have only VMware Workstation as a reference
but there it's:

VM (menu) -> Removable Devices -> USB -> <your USB device>

OK, I found that part but the "Removable Devices" is greyed out. (The
help page indicates the same menu selections you posted.)

Did you configure a virtual USB controller in the virtual machine
definition (its settings)? That's a prerequisite to being able to
attach any given USB device in the host OS to the guest.

Thank you VERY much! That was it and it now sees my BlackBerry and the flash drive. My BB is currently backing up to the XP VM. Next step is to move the backups directory to a Samba share from the host.

Have great weekend!
Lucky Leavell