Re: [opensuse] How to unpack an RPM without installing?

On 2008-11-05 13:56, Joachim Schrod wrote:
Hi,

I try to unpack postgresql-server-8.3.4-1.9.i586.rpm from factory without installing it. (I want to look if an error in the 10.3 init.d script is still there.) No problem, I think:

rpm2cpio postgresql-server-8.3.4-1.9.i586.rpm >p.cpio

Well, just, except: No error message, but the produced file is no cpio file either. (file p.cpio outputs just "data".) I'm rather sure that the RPM file is OK: rpm -ql on that file produces no error, and I downloaded it twice to make sure that I don't got an error on a mirror.

Can anybody give me a hint, either why rpm2cpio is not working or how one can unpack a RPM file in other ways?
In case you want to try it yourself:
http://download.opensuse.org/factory/repo/oss/suse/i586/postgresql-server-8.3.4-1.9.i586.rpm

I called rpm2cpio both on a 10.0 and a 10.3 system with identical results; I don't have 11.0 running at the moment.

Thanks in advance for any answer,

Joachim

If i remember correctly, this is because of the change to the lzma payload in newer rpm versions. You need a version of rpm2cpio which is aware of that to extract the contents, and that is also why you cannot install rpms build for opensuse 11 with the rpm version provided in 10.3.

Here is what you can do to extract it on 10.3:
Save http://rpm.org/gitweb?p=rpm.git;a=blob_plain;f=scripts/rpm2cpio.sh;hb=HEAD
as rpm2cpio.sh
and do:
sh rpm2cpio.sh <rpm-package> | cpio -id

Best regards
Sylvester Lykkehus

  • Re: [opensuse] how to update alsa to 1.0.14rc2 on Suse 10.1 with checkinstall?
    ... > But I want to maintain the integrity of the rpm database by creating ... > rpms of those packages using checkinstall. ... > $#>rmmod snd_timer ... > Should I keep both the alsa-1.0.13-0.pm.0 rpm when installing the ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [SLE] Help to install Firefox and Flashplayer 7 [Solved]
    ... > |> Thanks for the RPM, I found too the one for Thunderbird, I installed ... Are you installing the tarballs as root? ... First I've to tell you that I use to manage RPMs and tarballs and that I ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: help - I installed rpm4.0.6 and now nothing works!
    ... The idea of installing rpm4 on Redhat 6.2 ... Updates are always tested on test boxes before reaching the production ... Packaging systems, whether rpm or Debian's apt, *BSD's ... a common problem for us (we don't hand out root permissions on our systems) ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Aptitude wants to remove OpenOffice.org
    ... Please also explain "Almost anything is better than installing .rpms ... declares that it depends (requires in rpm) other packages. ... The package manager does not check the filesystem when looking to see ... But rpm and dpkg use different databases. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: An update is needed Fedora!
    ... a hard reason for PHP5 requirement. ... development SRPMs. ... > Could you send one more example for compiling, installing, configuring, etc? ... they should then be installed as an update using: rpm -Uvh ...
    (Fedora)